30 Weeks Pregnant and Admitted Indefinitely…ENTERTAIN ME!

posted 2 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 46
214 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
PrincessPeach13 :  I’m hate to be the person who says it will be fine and relax, but I’ll tell you my story and hope it makes you relax!

I had my first admission to the hostipal at 25 weeks (and an ambulance ride between locations!) due to preterm labor issues. I was having contractions every minute but didn’t know that is what they were.  To make a long story short, I also was in the hospital at 28 weeks and 30 weeks, with modified bed rest plus medication.  I was allowed to literally drive to work, park in a handicapped spot, take an elevator, and go to the bathroom.  I still ended up at the doctors multiple times.  Plus, I had a weird platenta (it was twice as big as it should be so was anterior and posterior), marginal chord insertion (1/2 cm from the edge which is apparently bad) PLUS I measured 4 weeks behind from my uterine measurements.

Modified bedrest sucked.  I worked, but that was it.  No grocery shopping, no cooking, constantly second guessing. 

BUT (and this is the big but!) everything was great.  They monitored me, they took care of me, the ambulance ride was due to a concern that I would have a 25 weeker.  We went to 37w 4d, and my water broke.  My perfect baby was born less than 12 hours later, no drugs, no tearing, and immediate snuggles, at over 6 pounds.  Ever single minute was worth it.

I read a lot of books and did silly coloring.  I also watched/listened to documentaries and podcasts.  A lot of moives had topics I couldn’t deal with, so don’t feel bad isolating yourself from those.

30 weeks is awesome!  You can do 37 – its just one day at a time.  (Ha – people told me that I wanted to punch them.  But its true!)

Post # 47
2893 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
somedaymrsj :  Such a cutie pie!!!! I need to steal that kitten. What’s your address? 😂

Post # 48
818 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2019 - Tacoma, WA

View original reply
mrsaime :  Hahaha she is soooo adorable but seems to love getting into all the trouble all the time. 😂😂

Post # 50
2893 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
somedaymrsj :  But her cuteness overload should make up for the naughty behavior!!!

Post # 51
2893 posts
Sugar bee

OP, you are NOT a bad mom if you have to leave her in the NICU!!! You aren’t leaving her in some back alley. You are leaving her in the care of loving nurses that will watch her medical conditions and treat her as if she were their own. You’re doing what’s best for her.

Post # 52
917 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

View original reply
PrincessPeach13 :  I’m so sorry you’re desling with all this. NICU is so hard, but remember that nothing you’re going through is your fault in the slightest. I had a lot of guilt about my son’s pregnancy and birth too, but it really helps you deal with the nicu experience better if you can manage that guilt before baby is born.

30 weeks is a great milestone to reach, and if you make it to 34 weeks there’s a good chance you’ll only need NICU for a few days! And no matter how long baby is there they will still bond with you and know how much you love them. I didn’t get to hold my baby for 6 days, no skin to skin for 10 days, and no breastfeeding for 10-11 days and he was still obsessed with me from the first time he opened his eyes. 

But at the same time, it is SO hard to come to terms with a different birth and postnatal experience than you planned. Even when you know it’s best for both of you and you’re thankful that baby is the healthiest possible, it’s normal to be upset and mourn the loss of what you wanted your experience to be like. So cry as much as you need to and remind those closest to you not to try and diminish your worry with platitudes. You’ve got this mama! 

Post # 54
7331 posts
Busy Beekeeper

Bee–you are doing everything you can to take care of your baby girl!!

I was in and out of the hospital on bed rest with #2–he’s a teen now. You have a whole team of people to help you get through as many weeks as possible. You can do this. Your baby girl will know that her mother is a fierce protector who did everything to bring her safely into this world and to keep her safe once she’s here–even if it’s in the NICU. Hugs. 

Post # 55
917 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

View original reply
PrincessPeach13 :  I never had my full milk supply come in, but I think that was more due to PCOS and other hormonal imbalances than the delay. Baby had issues with latching as well, but that was due to his stroke at birth and he still has troubles latching on a bottle at 6 months old. Our NICU bed mate though was born at 33 weeks and had a simalr experience with EMCS and delayed holding/skin to skin (though it was around 10 hours for them instead of six days), and her milk came in just fine and breastfeeding worked out for them. So it’s definitely not inevitable that a preemie plus EMCS plus delays in holding baby means no breastfeeding! Also by 30 weeks even if you have a csection you’ll probably get to hold baby within a few hours to a day. Our experience was a bit different because DS was bleeding out and had a stroke, so he had multiple blood transfusions and was cooled down for 72 hours to prevent further brain damage. And then for the next 3 days he couldn’t be held due to how many precarious lines he had in him. But most of the babies I saw come to our NICU were being held within a day or two. 

We tried breastfeeding for 6 weeks but when I was still lucky to get an ounce every 3-4 hours we decided to quit for my sanity. I cried about it a lot, but honestly it was the best choice for me and I’ve been a much happier and less stressed mum. Whatever happens just be kind to yourself. I still get sad about it when I see other mums breastfeeding their babies, but my son still snuggles up to me after eating his bottle and always wants to nap on me, so I have to remember that not breastfeeding hasn’t damaged my relationship with him. 

Post # 56
129 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

Bee– 

Just to share my NICU story JUST IN CASE your little one ends up there as well.  I carried my baby to term when my water broke at 38+5.  She was born VBAC with a smooth labor and delivery however within hours of birth she started showing some signs of respiratory distress.  To make a long story short, she ended up with GBS meningitis and stayed in the NICU for 19 days.  That place is amazing!  The nurses are amazing and the doctors are amazing. My husband and I will be forevery grateful for all that the NICU teams did for my little girl. 

It WAS hard to go home without my daughter, but it did make me feel better knowing that she ALWAYS had someone with their eyes wide open on her at all times.  At home, we as parents have to sleep.  It’s just a fact.  I felt okay knowing that while I was sleeping at home, she had a nurse that was up with her for every minute that she was awake. 

There were times that I drove past the hospital knowing I couldn’t stop to see her (I also have a 3 year old DS) and those were some of the hardest moments.  I pumped all while my daughter was in the hospital and she latched when she was home and ready.  

Good luck to you and stay positive!  Like you had mentioned, you are in the best place for you AND for your baby!!! I wish for you hopefully many boring, noneventful days in the next 4-7 weeks!

Post # 57
2992 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

Oh gosh, I’m so sorry Bee. That’s so awful, I can only imagine how you must feel right now. Please try not to blame yourself for any complications. They are not your fault. Every pregnancy is a crapshoot and most of what happens is completely beyond your control. 

I recommend adult coloring books and reading novels to get your mind off things. Here’s hoping the next few weeks go well. 

FWIW, one of my mom friends gave birth at 30 weeks and her son is tiny but otherwise fine (he’s 2.5 years old now and loves throwing balls, splashing the water table water on everybody, and petting doggies). She said it was hard at first but the NICU nurses are amazing and took care of her little buddy around the clock until he was stable enough to go home. 

I will be thinking of you during this time!!

Post # 60
2504 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

My son was born at 36 weeks and was in the NICU for about 2 weeks. It was so hard to leave him but I knew he was getting amazing care. If your little one has to stay in the NICU, rest assured she will be in amazing hands! 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors