(Closed) $300 to set moissanite?

posted 5 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
11234 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

WTF? No.

You need to go check out other places to have your moissy set. $300??????

Post # 5
45 posts
Newbee

No way I am getting mine set for $40…go to other places! 

Post # 6
2050 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Yikes that is pretty steep. :/

Post # 7
45 posts
Newbee

The warrenty should be on the setting, the stone is separate, they are trying to get over on you.

Post # 8
83 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

@Epicpooka:  That’s crazy! Mine was set for free with the setting. I mean, they’re already making the ring anyway, right? 

Post # 9
417 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@Epicpooka:  If you want a diamond get a diamond.  But if you want a moissy don’t pay anyone that kind of money.  When I had moissy set in my ring it voided the warrenty, but I got a new one for the stone and head from the store that set it, and I don’t foresee anything happening to the band, and if it does I’ll deal with it then.

Post # 10
1266 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

That’s unheard of. $25-$50 sounds more normal for a setting fee.

There is no reason in the world to spend $300 for Shaneco to mount a moissanite.

Post # 12
72 posts
Worker bee

First of all that is a gorgeous ring.  I love the profile.  Very beautiful. 

As far as the setting fee is concerned, it is very steep in my opinion.  But something to consider if you decide to have someone else set a Moissanite.  Many/most of the jewelers who charge in the $25 – $50 range as another poster mentioned will often take no responsibility if the stone chips/breaks during the process.  Therefore its done at your risk.  This is what many jewelers fail to mention when they quote low prices. 

My company will set Moissanite in jewelry / rings customers send us, and our fees tend to be very low, but that is also because the customer is purchasing the stone from us.  If you get a 3rd party jeweler involved (from which you are neither purchasing the stone or the ring) expect high fees or assuming the risk if something goes wrong. 

If you decide to go the Moissanite route and not from shaneco, buy it first so you can see it in person with the ring, and then have them set it.  Take the money you saved by not paying $300 for setting and insure the ring via Jewelers Mutual.  You should be able to pay several years premiums on the savings alone.

Post # 13
1770 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 1997

@Epicpooka: since you asked, no of course it’s not spoiled to ask for a diamond!  Diamonds are the standard, & are what other clear stones are compared to.  Diamonds are billions of years old, natural from the earth, gorgeous, and each one is unique.  Absolutely would pay the extra $700 and get the real deal over a simulant. No contest!

Personally would never want an assembly line man made diamond look a like in something as important as a wedding set. Not knocking those who have simulants. different strokes for different follks.  I totally get their appeal. They are a lot of bling for the buck.

Large, high quality, sparkly, ethically source diamonds are out there but they cost more than many are able or willing to pay.

PS. yes think $300 is high, but they are taking a risk in stone setting, damaging an actual diamond would cost them plenty. So even though yours isn’t a diamond, they probably just have a set price.

Post # 15
5975 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

@Epicpooka:  Sounds like this jewler is trying to really mess with you guys – first they are going to charge $300 to set a stone, then they want to sell you one that they wont let you see?  I’d take my business elsewhere.

Post # 16
207 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

gorgeous setting, but I would NOT buy a moissanite from someone who had it and wouldn’t let me see it first, that is BS and I would definitely not buy from them.  That being said, the pears appear to be bezel set and wouldn’t be going anywhere, and the setting itself is really sturdy, so I would buy the setting from them then a forever brilliant or amora moissanite from someone online (moissaniteco, betterthandiamond, moissanite.com, etc) and go to a third party to have the stone set for a much more reasonable cost of ~$30-50 at MOST, then buy my own ring insurance on the whole finished product.  That is extremely bad business by ShaneCo, and after hearing this I will never be purchasing jewelry from them as a result.  All they’re interested in is the bottom line, they probably won’t let you see the moissanite they have because it is particularly bad quality and they think they can get even more $ out of you by charging to then replace it with a diamond (and have that set, etc).  Do a 3rd party. Also, moissanites aren’t “fake diamonds,” like a poster seemed to imply above, they’re just moissanites.  I have white sapphires that aren’t “fake diamonds,” they’re white sapphires, just like my emeralds aren’t “fake diamonds,” they’re emeralds. that is BS and very judgemental, the only thing I would consider to be a “fake diamond” is a CZ someone is pretending is a diamond, not a moissanite since it is a forever stone

The topic ‘$300 to set moissanite?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors