(Closed) $3000 Food Budget?

posted 3 years ago in Reception
Post # 2
9527 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

It depends on the venue. Research a few and see if what you like fits your budget or not 

Post # 3
9736 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2016

It’s a tight budget for food. $15 per person is a pretty low cost for catering. It can be done, but I think it will be harder to find a caterer at that price point.

Post # 4
1740 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

That seems pretty low to me.  But it will also depend if that number includes servers and serving dishes.  And if you’re doing buffet or plated.

Post # 5
1701 posts
Bumble bee

That breaks down to $15 per person. You seriously need to reevaluate unless you are doing a backyard thing or a very casual reception. Nothing wrong with either of those, BTW!

Post # 6
47203 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

lildncr2 :  What are you  hoping to do with that $3000? What type of reception are you planning? brunch? afternoon tea? buffet? plated dinner? food truck? self cater? That works out to $15 per person.

If you give them more information, I am sure the local bees can tell if you are being realistic.

Post # 7
631 posts
Busy bee

I’m having a *lot* of trouble imagining what kind of food you can really hope to get for $15 a person. Even with in incredibly casual backyard thing that would be hard, unless you order pans of brisket and mashed potatoes from a local low-cost bbq joint, etc. 

Post # 8
2180 posts
Buzzing bee

lildncr2 :  Think about the Olive Garden rule: unlimited salad and breadsticks and soda refills included, an appetizer and entrees for two adults is stll going to come out to about fifty bucks. I think squeezing it down to $15/person will be pretty tight.

Post # 9
119 posts
Blushing bee

I agree that’s tight. I live in the south and paid $2000 for a buffet to feed 110 and that was a steal. I think if you shopped around then you’re close but not quite there. Also, as previously said depends very much on what you want exactly. 

Post # 10
176 posts
Blushing bee

Bbq!!! We’re doing 3 meats/3 sides for $12/pp. With tax, tip, and the service charge for a couple of wait staff it’ll be around $15/pp. Good luck!!

Post # 11
568 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Please describe what you are talking about in the way of food.  If you are having a BBQ reception it might work as long as you don’t have a lot of side dishes or anything extravagant.  It won’t work for a sit down, 3 course, waiter served dinner . Can you be more specific?

Post # 12
131 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

I”m doing a taco truck for 90 for 1800, would be 1700 without the horchata. I couldn’t find anything cheaper. So it’s doable, but there is no full staff, just two people and a truck, not full service, and it wasn’t somefancy taco truck it was a legit straight-from-mexico taco truck with no website or fancy signs.

If you want cheap cheap I wouldeither do a food truck or just order a bunch of pizza!

Post # 14
454 posts
Helper bee

I would discuss with your uncle/caterer and see what he recommends for that amount of people. If you use different ingredients you may be able to get the price lower, etc. $3000 does seem quite low for 200 people. You don’t have to have all your ducks in a row necessarily; it’s better to work things out as a team.

Also, you may want to consider more stations. I went to a wedding with maybe 150 people and 3 stations, and we pretty much didn’t eat because we stood in line the entire time.

Post # 15
147 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

My wedding is 11.50 per plate and the food is really good. Everybody in my area goes through them. It’s possible where I’m from, but I don’t live in a city. Food trucks are a good alternative but they are very trendy so they may be upping their prices as people start booking them more

The topic ‘$3000 Food Budget?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors