(Closed) $3,000 for mainly Tulips???!!!

posted 9 years ago in Flowers
Post # 3
168 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

That sounds ridiculous to me!!  We are going DIY with our flowers but I think that seems a little steep….granted; stephanotis, tulips and lilies are not as cheap as carnations but they are definitely not lily of the valley ($$$)!!

Post # 4
732 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Haha you could put like 6 tulips on each table and cut the entire price down by half lol thats so crazy! Or buy fake ones and then you can sell them afterwards, and get some of your money back!

Post # 5
2207 posts
Buzzing bee

That is in fact a wildly high quote. It doesn’t sound like a ton of labor, so you are looking at about $5 a stem, plus $1 each for labor. WAY too much. Ask around more.

Post # 6
687 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

this is expensive! but where are you located? are you in New York city or Los Angeles? it may be the going rate…can you ask other florists? definitely do some comparison shopping

Post # 7
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Maybe they didn’t understand what you wanted with centerpieces?

This style tulip centerpiece has about a dozen or so.

Where as something like this has well over 2 dozen.

Ask if you can have a break out of price for each item.  How much is the bouquet costing (those take a lot of work), the corsages, etc.

Also remember the $3k is not just for the cost of the flowers, it is also the vases, the assembly, the delivery, etc.

Post # 8
1037 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2010 - Carlouel Yacht Club

Have you considered DIY’ing the centerpieces? fiftyflowers.com has great deals on bulk flower orders, and from what I’ve heard, they look great!

Post # 9
4001 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

OMG that’s a lot!  I guess it depends on where and when you’re wedding is though.  If its in a popular city, like where I live, things are hiked up to well over twice the price you’d find it in smaller town.  And if you want tulips in a season that they don’t bloom locally, they you’re paying for the shipping which can be astronomically.  I’d see if there were other flowers in the color you want that are grown at the time of year you’re having your wedding.

Post # 10
3762 posts
Honey bee

I guess I am really the minority here but I don’t think $3k is really hit the floor, omg, are they really charging that price.

Here is what I would maybe estimate:

My bouquet – medium, tulips & some leaves. $200-$300

4 maids – small, just tulips.$100 each so around $400

Groom, 3 sprigs of stephanotis. $25

Groomsmen & 2 dads – 1 sprig stephanotis. $10 each so about $60

2 moms, 1 grandmother some kind of lily, typical lily you see as corsage. Average corsage is about $25 so lily might be a bit higher so maybe $30 for a total of $60

Just tulle on only first 3 pews, 2 sides.  Whatever they want to charge for the tulle and to put it up. How will it be attached to the pews?  What about on the other isles?

13 tables at reception plain white tulips in a round, medium size bowl   $40-$50, Cost of flowers plus to assemble and for the vases, rocks, etc $100 each for a total of $1,300

These were the prices I was quoted in our small florida town.  That adds up to just over $2k plus whatever they charge for the cost of the pews.  Obvioulsy an extra $1,000 is a lot of money and profit for them but I don’t think its Oh my gosh how can they charge this much. 

Post # 11
348 posts
Helper bee

If you want to DIY the centerpieces, the flowers would cost $60 per bowl, MAX (I’m remembering buying organic tulips from Whole Foods for $20/dozen – with a bit of planning you could definitely find them cheaper).  Less if you need fewer tulips, which it sounds like you’d be fine with.  And it would really take no time.  You’d obviously have to get the bowls somewhere, but that should be $10 max.  So you could probably cut that quote quite a bit for minimal effort.

But yeah, get a few more quotes!

Post # 12
2207 posts
Buzzing bee

@ caszos

Maybe it is because I live in California, and there are a decent number of hothouses here, but I find your numbers high! And I am getting tulips in July!

Post # 13
3762 posts
Honey bee

I know some of those numbers are on the high side, but I don’t think they all are.  Obviously some a lot of the florist quote is going to be their cost of labor which like photographers I don’t know if people understand/remember.  Sure  you can DIY and order a bunch of tulips but are you going to be able to assemble all of the centerpieces and bouquets.  

I completely agree that $3k is a lot for a floral budget but I also see and understand where a lot of the time and effort play into it. 

Post # 14
7173 posts
Busy Beekeeper

I’d get a couple more quotes – or, if you don’t want to spend that much, ask them how they can change things up for “X” amount.  Most florists are willing to work with you and add tricks to make arrangements look full but with less florals.

Post # 15
335 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

Too much. Honestly. Just tell them you got a quote from a competitor, don’t disclose, for 2k or something and see what they say. If they are up-charging you that much, they have room to negotiate.

The topic ‘$3,000 for mainly Tulips???!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors