32 yrs old, do I go back to school or have babies?

posted 2 years ago in 30 Something
Post # 2
872 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

rachaelgean :  my honest advice is have your babies first bee. Nursing can wait bit you may miss the boat for children. It’s not worth the risk if it’s something you both really want. I don’t know what country you’re in but in the UK a nursing degree is 3 years which would take you to 35….then you’ll want to establish a career which will take you into your late 30s. It is possible to get pregnant in your late 30s but for some women that’s too late. It’s a gamble.

Post # 3
2627 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2017 - Hogarths, Solihull

rachaelgean :  I would also have the babies. There’s nothing to stop you doing an Open University type course (not sure the US equivalent) when the babies are young, so that you can study for your degree while you’re home with them.

You can definitely do both things, you just need to consider the fact that it will get harder to conceive as you get older. Is that a gamble you want to take? How would you feel if you weren’t able to have children because of your decision? These are tough questions, but ones you need to ask yourself.

Good luck with whichever you decide <3 

x

Post # 4
3302 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2017

Start both now. It takes time to make and have a baby. I wouldn’t put off starting a family but I know you can take nursing school one semester at time. 

Post # 5
43 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2018

If children are important to you then do not put it off. A nursing degree can happen later but your fertility has an expiry date. It’s not something I would gamble with personally.

Post # 6
1361 posts
Bumble bee

What is the likelihood of you going to school WHILE you have a baby or young child in the house? 

Would being a nurse benefit you finanacially in such a way that you’d be in radically better shape to raise a child or several children? 

Post # 7
205 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

I would do both. I am currently working full time and doing an MBA part time. Before I started the MBA the school confirmed that if I have a baby I’ll be able to pause the MBA and come back to it later. I am sure you’ll be able to find a school that can offer something similar. At a minimum it will be a year before you have a baby. May as well get started with the degree and see how far you get. 

Post # 8
3020 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

It’s my belief that school will always be there for you when you are ready to go back. It’s never too late to further your education. 

Your reproductive system, on the other hand, won’t. I know two PhDs who I had assumed were CFBC until I got pregnant. They shared that they really wanted babies but pursued their educations first and… yeah. Sadness.

Post # 9
555 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2021 - Massachusetts

I don’t see why you can’t do both? Are you planning on going to community college and doing an associates or getting a BSN? The community colleges around here and four year schools are VERY hard to get into the nursing programs. It’s like that with all of the allied health programs. If you are working full time, I would highly suggest you start taking pre req’s like A&P courses. That way you have a better chance of applying for the nursing program. Most schools around here will have part time options, they know people have lives and kids.

Post # 10
9595 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

both.

Post # 11
682 posts
Busy bee

Can you afford a child right now? If not, go to school so that you can. You could do both, but your SO would have to be supportive and not leave the majority of the child-rearing to you. You could also adopt and not worry about your biological clock. Everything is so delayed in life now. It’s hard to have all your ducks in a row before you are stable enough to have kids. :/

Post # 12
578 posts
Busy bee

Who knows how long it will take to get pregnant. Depending on when you would start school you may even get a full year of nursing done before a baby comes along. Might as well get the ball rolling if you are set on becoming a nurse down the line. 

Ps I just went back to school for nursing after a diploma and several years at a dead end job. I got married in the summer as well. I’m 26 so don’t want babies yet but maybe when I’m done school. Good luck with everything! 

Post # 13
4907 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

I would choose having babies first and then finishing schooling. I’m 33 and am having a harder time carrying a pregnancy/not miscarry. Gl

Post # 14
9948 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: City, State

I would start both.

But if I couldn’t handle that then babies first then school.

Post # 15
5006 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2018

Even if you got pregnant tomorrow, there’s still 9 months (presumably) until you actually had the baby. That’s more than enough time to get at least one semester of school under your belt, and the first year or two of classes are the easiest. 

Start both now. Crank out as many classes as you can reasonably handle. When you get pregnant, finish the semester you’re in and maybe take another, depending on the timing. Have the baby, wait a while, and then re-evaluate. 

But by then, you’ll have about a year of school finished, if not more. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors