(Closed) 32 yrs old, do I go back to school or have babies?

posted 4 years ago in 30 Something
Post # 16
2363 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

Both.

Start now – even if you got pregnant tomorrow, you’re not giving birth for 10 more months. Enroll ASAP! Get as much done as you can before you’re pregnant, when you get pregnant finish that semester and take a break, and go back. 

It WILL be harder when you have a child. I finished my undergrad with a baby. It was tough. 

Post # 17
1234 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2027

View original reply
rachaelgean :  you are still fairly young. Nursing school will take like 2 years, unless you want a bachelors degree, which you can complete online once you have an ADN (and actually there is at least one school online that allows you to finish your ADN, once you have your LP). I say start school now and start trying to have the babies half way through being done. 

It is hard to go to school and have young children, I know this from experience. Not sure of the financials here but having another mouth to feed can add to that. It is hard for me going back to school right now, and my youngest is 11. I have been studying to be a surg tech but am considering just getting my EKG. At least till my son graduates in May, because his schedule alone, not counting my 2 girls, keeps me busy. 

Ultimately, only you can decide, but I can tell you, without a lot of help, it will be harder to do it with babies. 

Post # 18
912 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

View original reply
rachaelgean :  i cant say which to do first.. but I dont reccomend doing both at the same time. About 1/3 of my class dropped out of nursing school during or right after the first semester, the course load was insane and most of those drop outs had small children. And we had a couple people who got pregnany during nursimg school and dropped out. By the end of 4th semester we had about 1/3 of the people we started with. 

Post # 19
1110 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

I agree with PPs saying to TTC while taking as many classes as you can. If you add the TTC period to the 9 months of pregnancy, you can easily knock out some classes and then reevaluate once the baby is here.

Post # 20
27 posts
Newbee

View original reply
mepayne :  This. That’s what I’m doing: blasting through an engineering degree and working full time until I get pregnant, and then I’ll finish it later. I ABSOLUTELY want to stay home with my babies and can’t bear the idea of dumping my kid in daycare every day in that early stage – others can, but I can’t. I’m in school not for the job opportunities necessarily but mostly for the learning. With something like nursing where you have a career goal in mind, I’m not sure about your ability to stop and start, but if you have the option, go for it, bee.

Post # 21
57 posts
Worker bee

I am a nurse. I had a toddler while in school. I say you can totally do both. It will be hard and time consuming, but possible. If you absolutely feel in your heart you must choose only one, go with babies 100%. I am so passionate about my career, but parenting is where it’s really at. 

Post # 22
2130 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2019 - Chateau Lake Louise

I’d echo the start TTC and enroll at the same time. You can always pick up where you left off later, and once the kiddo is in school, you’ll have plenty of time to develop your own career more fully. 

Post # 23
1025 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Do you have a college degree in something else? What types of pre-reqs would you have to do before starting actual nursing classes? 

How much would school cost? Is that a reasonable addition to your finances? How much would adding a baby add to your financial picture? Do you have savings? 

If financially, both are feasible, I agree that you may wish to start both now. You could definitely get one semester, maybe more, done before giving birth, depending on how soon you get pregnant. 
Also consider what program you’re entering, would you be able to take a semester off depending on your due date- say you are due late September, I would skip that semester and resume in January. Make sure things like that would be an option for the program you choose. 

And finally, what is your child care plan? Be aware clinicals could be day or evening hours and you may not know which days until right before the semester begins, and they are likely to change from semester to semester. Just some things to consider.

Post # 24
25 posts
Newbee

If you want babies, have some babies! You can start school as well and if it becomes too much to juggle, the credits will carry for several years. Go for your goals!! <3

Post # 25
78 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

Ideally you do both school and TTC. 

I’m in the same boat. I’m 31 and currently work full-time and in grad school part-time. The last thing I need is to throw getting pregnant on top of it all, but we’re gonna TTC mid-studies. It helps that I know of women in my program who’ve done exactly that. They were able to take a semester off to have their baby, then return the next semester. Thankfully, my program has a flexible course schedule so people are able to catch up on courses since they’re offered in multiple semesters (i.e. miss it in Fall, just take it in Winter, etc). What will be the impact on your school plan if you get pregnant/need to take a semester off? How quickly do you want to finish school? I’m also eager to finish my degree to advance my career. 

Good luck with your decision, bee!

The topic ‘32 yrs old, do I go back to school or have babies?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors