(Closed) 3:30 PM Start Time

posted 8 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
6998 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

my husbands family is from all over and mine is too but we got married in my town (where i have lived for about 20 years) so we had a lot of local people there too – it really depends but i know alot of people ended up getting hotel rooms..but i also think it depends on the crowd..my group were drinkers so people planned to stay. there is always the appeal of the hotel bar. i would say 80 percent of our guests stayed the night local and not.

our ceremony started at 3..cocktail hour was at 5 and reception ended at 10

Post # 4
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Since your reception isn’t immediately following your ceremony, you should probably indicate the reception start time in your invitations.  And then people will know to plan accordingly.

Post # 5
1371 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

My wedding started at 3:30.  The cocktail hour started at 4 (immediately after the ceremony ended).  By the time we ‘ended’ the evening at 11pm, it was only the real partiers and some of my immediate family members left over.  Many of our guests were from further away and chose not to get hotel rooms, so that’s why they likely left early-ish, but also when you start things so early it’s a long day.  People get tired and it feels later than expected.  Are you worried people will leave before 10?

Post # 8
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@Mrs. Meowerson: oh yes, I see that the time gap is to accomodate for travel time. but I think that if you included on your invitation something like  “Reception to follow at five o’clock in the afternoon at [reception venue]” then it would be clearer to people what the timeline of events are. ’cause if I just saw the 3:30pm start time, I would assume that the wedding ends at 9pm.  but I guess if I was smart and looked up where the reception venue was, then I would know that there must be some travel time factored in there somewhere 🙂

Post # 9
646 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Honestly, I don’t think people will automatically assume it ends earlier. Most  church weddings have to be earlier in the day.

Also, you don’t need to indicate a later start time for your reception on your invitation unless the reception begins more than 2 hours after your ceremony. I’m planning just to mention the start time of my reception on the website and on an “info card” that will be inserted with the program or handed out after the mass.

Post # 10
862 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

People will assume it ends earlier and I would not put a separate time for the reception.  We’re having a 3:30 guest arrival, 4:00 ceremony, and reception ending at 10 as well.

The topic ‘3:30 PM Start Time’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors