(Closed) 35+ and pregnant – concerns?

posted 7 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 17
4581 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

My grandmother had my uncle at 37 and my mom at 42. I never once heard her say she regretted it or wished she’d started earlier. She did just fine and she’s still alive and kicking at 90 years old.

Post # 18
898 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@NJmeetsBX:  People live so much longer now and are healthier much later now.

I’m kid number 5 of 6 and my parents had me when they were 36 and my little sister when they were 41.  Neither of us had any issues or disabilities at birth, although my sister had health issues later on (doubtful that it’s related to parental age at birth though).  I’ve had no issues whatsoever.

My mom is 66 right now and still extremely energetic (more than me), she still works full time although she could have retired last year–she says she would be bored at home.  She takes dance lessons, horseback riding lessons, and works out at the gym 5 times a week.  The lady is active.

She’s going to keep working next year too, and she shows no signs of slowing down.  I’m now 32 and my little sis is 26…so we’ve both had a good mom for a loooong time.  =)

Post # 19
1497 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Do you feel “old” yet? I’m 32, but feel better than I did and am healthier than I was in my 20s, so I feel great about TTC in a couple years! I have two coworkers that have 13 year old girls – one is 33 and the other is 48. The younger one wishes she waited, because having a child so young has exhausted her, while the older is glad she waited – so don’t worry, everyone is different – maybe you will be glad you waited.

My dad was 40 when I was born, and 46 when my sister was born. But he still did everything (and more) that my friends’ younger dads did. He’s 72 now, and looking forward to grandkids ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 20
2902 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

My mum is 60 and she is much cooler than most Mums. She is a funky lil monkey. It’s totally a state of mind and a personality issue I think ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 21
10360 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

My parents were that old. So were DH’s. It wasn’t a big deal. There are so many facets of parenthood to worry about/get worked up over – I truly believe that this isn’t one of them.

Post # 22
8469 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

View original reply
@Mrs. Pretzel:  Just want to say, I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!

As for me, I’m 34 & not in any way, shape, or form, ready to be a mom.  That same situation concerns me as well, but women seem to be having them older nowadays, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. 

Just stay in shape, eat right, exercise so you never look your age… That’s my plan if I choose to be a mom someday! Smile

Post # 23
3728 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: City, State

@NJmeetsBX:  My Future In-Laws had their last child at 42 (and my Fiance at 35 and their first at 25). What I can say is that they were by far better parents to the younger kids than the older kids. Life has a way of making you not give a fly and being more low key. They have a wealth of experience to give and knew which battles to pick. They know when to just accept times have changed and when to press on tradition. Don’t worry and congrats! 

Post # 24
618 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010 - Catholic Church & The Engine Room at Georgetown Studios

View original reply
@Rubbs:  haha, thanks! i was pretty excited it was still available when I was chosen to be a blogging bee. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 25
4113 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

FI’s mom was 41 when she had Fiance.

I am 38 and taking my last birth control pill on Saturday ๐Ÿ™‚

I wish I would have had kids earlier just so I could space them out more if we have more than one, but I didn’t meet Fiance until I was 36.

I’m too excited at the prospect of a baby to worry about bieng old later!!!!!

Post # 26
7367 posts
Busy Beekeeper

It had defintely crossed my mind. I’m 40. Just watching my god children sometimes tires me but I love them so much. So I can only imagine the connection I’ll feel with my owe LO. My mom had me at 36 but she was old school and very old fashioned. Personality wise I’m very youthful so my potental kid being teenage when I’m supposed to be retiring doesn’t phase me too much. 

Post # 27
1377 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

View original reply
@FauxBoho:  Same here! My mom had me when she was 35 and we’ve always been best friends. Absolutely no generational gap issues whatsoever.

Post # 28
1238 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I’m 35 and feel this is the perfect time for me. I wasn’t emotionally ready or in a solid relationship before! I’ve had the same thoughts, about having a teenager and being in my 50’s, but I’m just glad that they’ll be out of the house by the time I’m 55, so I’ll have plenty of time and energy to travel the world then!

Post # 29
580 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I’m not over 35, but some of our dearest “couple friends” are 44 and 50 and have a 9 year old. They are no less energetic than me (probably more so if we want to be honest, haha), and they are some of the most awesome parents I know. They are very laid back (probably because they have more life experience), and don’t worry about as much trivial stuff as some younger parents tend to do. 

The topic ‘35+ and pregnant – concerns?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors