$380.00 for alterations are you kidding me Alfred Angelo!!!

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
145 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I would look around for another tailor. I got my dress from A.A. too and am having it altered somewhere else. That seems like an awful lot to me! 

Post # 4
1766 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Get quotes from independent tailors.  I had my dress taken in, shortened, and the bustle done for ~$200.

Post # 5
1843 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

That seems VERY EXPENSIVE for what you’re having done.  I would use an outside seamstress or ask friends who they have used.

Post # 6
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Congrats. You’ve finally crossed the wedding cost disbelief threshold.It’s also a little “convenient” that they ordered the dress incorrectly and now are charging so much to have it taken in…

Just wait till you find out how much it costs to have the damn dress cleaned and preserved.

No, $380 is not crazy. Especially for a bridal salon (unfortunately). See if you can find an independent seamstress that has good reviews to work with. They are sometimes cheaper.

Post # 7
1679 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Take it to an independent seamstress.  My awesome woman charged me $125 to take a size 8 gown to my size (I’m a size 2 in street clothes, a size 6 in high end bridal).

Post # 8
5110 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2011

Ya I would continue to look around for a new taylor. If you dont want to do that because it makes you uncomfortable I would at least talk to AA to see if you you dont have to pay to get the dress taken in. It was their mistake for measuring you wrong.. you already paid for the dress why should you pay for their mistake as well?? So I would talk to the manager about that one. 

Post # 9
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

(also it would help to post what your dress is. If it has a lot of layers, the cost for hemming skyrockets. If it has delicate beading, lace, or appliques that have to be moved/resewn with the hemming and taking the sides in the cost again goes way up).

Post # 10
539 posts
Busy bee

@crwbride2011: I went to an independant tailor, cost me $100, Davids Bridal gave me an estimate of almost $600

Post # 11
629 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

What does the bottom of your dress look like?  I can see it if it’s layered or ruffly or something where it’s going to be a giant pain in the butt to have it done.  I paid David’s Bridal $120 to take in the sides and hem up a bridesmaid’s dress because it had ruching at the waist where they had to take it in and two layers at the bottom.  If it’s lacy or beaded or anything, too, that will make a difference in the price…the fancier the dress, the more costly the alterations, unfortunately…

Post # 12
688 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Idk anything about Alfred Angelo, but  my alterations cost aroudn that too. I thought that was normal.

Post # 13
4824 posts
Honey bee

depends what your dress looks like, but that could easily be about normal.

Post # 14
1766 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Doing the alterations at a bridal salon will definitely add $$$ to the bill.  They are a rip off.  Independent seamstresses are a good way to save.

Post # 15
38 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Alfred Angelo makes most of their money on Alterations because their dresses are, for the most part, on the inexpensive side.  Take it somewhere else and get another price (or two).  The worst case scenario is that AA is the lowest quote you receive…at least you’ll know where you stand.  

I have an AA dress and am getting it altered by a woman who comes highly recommended on, of all places, theknot.com.

Post # 16
9029 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

It depends on the style of the dress and how complex it is. My alterations cost me over 250 just for cups, velcro inside the bust and on my bra and a simple 2 button bustle.  I was not pleased at all but at that point it was so close to the wedding I didnt want to fret.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors