(Closed) 4 C’s!

posted 10 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
5008 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

@UmakeURownLUCK: I read an interesting article about clarity last night and it really depends on the stone as to how it’ll look. The cut and colour are better places to spend the money than clarity. I think mine is about an SI1 and I’ve spent hours looking really closely at it without finding a single flaw!

I’m sure your ring will be gorgeous and no one will notice even if it does have flaws.

Mine is an antique with what seems to be quite a shallow cut which makes a lot more difference to how it looks than the clarity, but I excuse the cut with the fact that it’s rather different from modern brilliants in lots of other ways too.

Anyway, back to the point, cut is far more noticeable than clarity (as long as it’s eye clean at a glance) from what I can tell.

Post # 4
5421 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2012

Relaxxxxxx.  I have an SI2 no one gets that close to it to see the one visible flaw.  If a stone is cut very well then the clarity can be sacrificed a bit.  I’ve seen well cut I1s that look good. 

View original reply
@SpecialSundae: did you ever think that yours is an old euro cut vs a round brilliant?  they’re cut differently and i believe a bit shallower.

Post # 5
5008 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

View original reply
@MASPA: It is an OEC or transitional so it does look different. I just sometimes get stupidly insecure about it (which is idiotic, I know).

Post # 6
5421 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2012

View original reply
@SpecialSundae: well now i know why i like it so much! they’re so uniquely (is that a word?) cut.  and yes it is idiotic.

Post # 7
15531 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Dont worry, if you wanted a certain size and had to get an SI2, by definition SI2 is still eye clean so you shouldnt see anything even if you did stick your face 5 inches from it.  I’m on the other side of the coin – my husband ended up choosing a VS2 for me, because in my hint dropping, I was very afraid of visible flaws and wanted to steer him in the right direction.  Now I sort of wish we had dropped to the SI category to get a bit more size.  There’s always going to be an inkling of doubt that comes and goes,.. not to often though.

Post # 8
5147 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

SI = slight inclusion, not much at all

I have an SI1, here’s a magnification of the 1 flaw:

Cut was most important to me. Near-colorless and eye-clean were all I cared about for color & clarity.

Post # 9
1546 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

It all depends on the stone. Also a lot of cuts will expose/conceal inclusions better than others. Most likely S12 would not fly with my emerald cut but could go unnoticed in a round cut b/c there are so many more facets. Don’t stress, I’m sure its beautiful!

Post # 10
3616 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I agree with PP no one will ever put their face close enough to your ring to see any visible flaws.

Post # 11
853 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

View original reply
@pinkshoes: Well said. When we have a say in our ring, sometimes it will always be hard not to second guess something. However all in all it will be the perfect ring.  I sometimes wish I chose lower clarity for higher size, so we all do it to ourselves.  I agree with the others about SI2’s being perfectly fine, and when you see it i’m sure you will be so over the moon you will forget all your worries. Try not to obsess in the meantime. It will be great! Keep us posted and post the ring when you get it!

Post # 12
1721 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I think it will be just fine!  The clarity grading system is based on the depth of the inclusion.  So, an SI2 is on sort of the 2nd “level” but the includsion might be way on the edge, or it might be a crystal or feather you can’t even see.  They are supposed to be eye clean and only visible with a 10x magnifier.

Post # 13
490 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2016

I have an SI2 that is E colorless and you cannot see anything close up.  I have to look at it through the scope at the jewelry store to see anything and they are small.  I have a pear.  I think you will be very happy with it!

Post # 14
4801 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Don’t worry about it!  It sounds beautiful!

My diamond is an I-2 (almost the worst clarity that you can get 😛 )…you can totally see a flaw when you really look.  Fiance and I didn’t notice it before we took it home unfortunately.  But you have to get really close…I don’t think it shows much in photos either.

Post # 15
1089 posts
Bumble bee

In My Humble Opinion, cut, then color are the most important characteristics.  There are many eye-clean stones that are SI2.  The naked eye tends to pick up on the color much more than the clarity, especially at a distance. 

Let’s face it.  No one on the street is going to be examining your stone with a loupe or under magnification.  Some cuts (ie step cuts. . .asscher or emerald) don’t hide flaws very well, but most brilliant cuts (ie round brilliant, princess cut, cushion cut) do.  I must say that I’m VERY picky and EXTREMELY detail-oriented, and I have seen more eye-clean SI stones than noticeably included ones.  Furthmore, most inclusions are seen better when they are face down (meaning the back of the stone).  Since no one sees that part, most of the flaws are hidden.

I’m not yet engaged, but I do have a princess cut diamond SI2 H color (with quite a bit of fluoresence so it faces up REALLY white!).  It is set in a ring, and you cannot see the flaws unless you hold it about 3 inches from your face (literally!) and look at it from the side.  There’s also another tiny inclusion that looks like a bubble that can only be seen under VERY bright light on a certain angle.  I’m the ONLY one that knows it’s there, and it took me weeks to find it!  Lol.  I’m actually glad it has some identifying marks so that I’ll always be able to recognize my stone! 

The topic ‘4 C’s!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors