4 days late, but a negative test

posted 2 weeks ago in TTC
Post # 2
13374 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Following.

I’m a week late with three negative HTPs. So frustrating.  I hope you get an answer soon!

Post # 3
4433 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

msmeow85 :  if a pregnancy is causing your period to be late, a pregnancy test should be positive by now, especially at 4 days late.

You could have ovulated late, or you really could be late due to stress.

Post # 4
2616 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2015

I would assume your period is just late. I was once over a week late due to being sick and almost two weeks late once due to stress. I wouldn’t be too worried if I were you.

Post # 6
4433 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

msmeow85 :  those negatives happen very early, before your missed period 

If pregnancy hormones are causing you to miss your period, they would be strong enough to show up on a pregnancy test

Post # 7
671 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

Are you chartingy/do you know when you ovulated? Just because you’ve had two 28 day cycles before doesn’t mean this one will be 28 days, especially if you’ve been stressed prior to ovulation. So if you ovulated on day 20 you still wouldn’t be late yet, and you may be pregnant or you may not. Charting has the added benefit of then knowing exactly when to time trying for optimum results.

Good luck! 

Post # 8
1870 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Even someone with regular cycles can have an occasional longer than usual cycle here and there. Unless you’re charting, you can’t know if your period is truly late, or if you just ovulated later in your cycle than you usually do.

Post # 9
1174 posts
Bumble bee

I was about 5 days late with stark negative pregnancy tests and no period. I am fairly regular too so it was weird. 

Turns out I was pregnant and had ovulated much later than usual. My first positive test was SUPER faint… like a super squinter but I am currently 22 weeks with a baby boy on the way.

Until you get your period, don’t count yourself out.

Post # 10
2128 posts
Buzzing bee

I’ve been off BC for about 6 months now and while my periods have generally been quite regular (25 day cycle after the first month), last month I randomly had a 30 day cycle. I didn’t think it was likely I was pregnant (we’re using condoms) so I decided to wait it out and that I would test if I was more than 5 days late, but then I got my period on CD30. All that to say, I think some fluctuation is probably normal, especially within the early months of being hormone-free. 

Post # 12
7257 posts
Busy Beekeeper

Whether you get pregnant or not this cycle, you ovulated later than normal. This is very common, even for people with regular cycles. Either your period will arrive in the coming days, or it won’t and you’ll get a BFP. But you haven’t missed your period yet – if you had missed it (i.e., if it was “late” due to pregnancy), you’d have a blazing positive on a pregnancy test now. 

Post # 13
868 posts
Busy bee

How did you know when you were in your FW? Were you using an app (extremely inaccurate)? I’m guessing you just ovulated later. My advice is to not go by an app to determine the best days and to get some opks or learn how to read your CM. 

Charting is annoying so I’d use that as a last resort. 

Post # 15
189 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2017

Hey there! So this happened to me last cycle – I got off the pill in July, had 3 regular cycles (29, 31, 30 days), then… nothing. My fourth cycle after coming off the pill ended up being 75 DAYS LONG! It was so confusing, and I took approximately 1 million pregnancy tests (all negative) before finally going to the doctor. The doctor gave me a blood pregnancy test (negative) and then ran some hormone blood tests, all of which came back normal. She told me it’s pretty common for women’s cycles to get screwed up for 6 months after coming off the pill, and that is likely what was going on with me. 

I’m now in my 5th cycle since coming off the pill, and APPEAR to have ovulated at the normal time… So I’m hoping it was just a one cycle fluke. 

Your experience sounds exactly like mine, so I just wanted to share! Good luck!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors