(Closed) 4 invitations to one house? or 1 for family and kids and guests

posted 8 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
5496 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: April 2010

I believe “proper etiquette” says that if someone is over 18, they are to receive their own invite. That is quite a lot of invites for one house though. How many of these situations do you have? I probably would send an invite to each cousin.

Post # 4
299 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I have a few situations like that as well, except they don’t have bf/gf I know this isn’t following etiquette but I will most likely just send 1 to the family.  If I sent one to everyone over 18 I would seriously be sending 6 invitations to my uncles house!

Post # 5
391 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

I’ve had this situation too on the IL’s side. Mother-In-Law said to send the invitation addressed to the parents, the daughter and her boyfriend because they still live under the same roof. Plus it saves an invitation and stamp.

If you know their SO well, put their names. i’ve have known this particular cousin’s SO for about 1 1/2 years now. If not, don’t put any of their SO’s names and put Family and guests, or just family because they would invite their boyfriend/girlfriends anyways.

Post # 6
141 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I wouldn’t be offended by one invite. Maybe you can add a little personalization by writing each family member’s name instead of “Mr. & Mrs. Jones and family.

Post # 7
566 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I would send multiple invites to a home.  It’s proper etiquette and it makes everyone feel special.

Post # 8
2781 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I sent any cousin over the age of 18 their own invite with the option to bring a Plus 1 or bing their partner.

Post # 9
1696 posts
Bumble bee

If you want to follow proper good form, then every person who is socially “out” (meaning they keep their own schedule and don’t have to go to Grandma’s house just because Mom said so) should receive his or her own invitation, by name, sent to his or her own address. That’s *every* person, including all those boyfriends and fiances, even if you have to phone up your cousins to ask for the addresses of their significant others. So that’s actually 7 invitations. The four to the same house can all go in the same outer envelope; the other three go to the significant others’ homes.

Post # 10
8353 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

I would send one to each. I have a situation where I will be sending 3 to one house.

Post # 11
654 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I know that etiquette says seperate invites for the cousins and their +1s but what we did was address it to Mr and Mrs xoxo and Family and then I clarified thru word of mouth or a added note in some instances that we would like to extend the offer for the cousins to bring their SOs as well.

Post # 12
138 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

I had the same issue with my aunt/uncle/cousins/cousin SOs…. I sent one to the house saying “Jones Family” since the 2 cousins are in college.  They both have serious SOs so I just figured theyd know the SOs were invited.  Turns out my aunt/uncle sisnt want to pay to have all 6 of them fly to our wedding, so they are coming without all the kids.

So, I say 1 is fine… not something anyone should be offended by!

Post # 13
988 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

send them per couple.  single people get one each.  it looks clumsey and cheap to put them all on one invite even if they all live togehter. 

The topic ‘4 invitations to one house? or 1 for family and kids and guests’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors