4 or 6 prongs for a round solitaire

posted 1 year ago in Rings
Post # 31
405 posts
Helper bee

I would have a hard time choosing too, they both look great! lol I’m team 4 prong though… However I really like how 6 prongs look on your ring ❤️

Post # 32
175 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2021

I vote 6 prong! I think it looks great with your stone! 

Post # 33
368 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2019

Stay with the 6! it’s beautiful and more secure!

Post # 34
1483 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2019 - City, State

I have 4 prongs.  But you usually should go with 4 if you want the diamond to look a bit larger (it sometimes does look a little square) and you can go with 6 if you want to accentuate the roundness of the diamond.  Since you don’t have a super symmetrical cut (OEC vs say round brilliant), I might recommend 4.  But it’s totally up to you!  Whatever you like best.

Post # 35
2172 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2019

I vote 6 because I feel it looks better with your particular stone! But I am possibly biased, as I have a round with 6 prongs 

Post # 36
647 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2000

Team 4 prong 😊

Post # 37
965 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2018 - Tizer Gardens/Carroll College

I think the four prongs can be done smartly, as long as you don’t end up with button prongs. When I got my ring on trial, all I could see was prongs. When I had one made with a different crown, I specified that I did not want button prongs and that I wanted them to be as unobtrusive as possible. That said, I do kind of think that the six prongs let in a bit less light.

Post # 38
205 posts
Helper bee

I actually think that 4 prongs are way more distracting than 6 prongs because it distorts the shape. 6 prongs looks way better

Post # 39
21 posts
Newbee

I’m team 4 prong but I’m also biased! I don’t like anything that detracts from the beauty of the center stone (no halos, etc.) and I find 6 prongs to be very overwhelming. However it is a personal preference! I have very delicate/thin white gold prongs (4) so I don’t think they make my stone look square at all because they are barely even visible from a distance

Post # 40
116 posts
Blushing bee

My dream ring is very similar, except yellow gold. I absolutely love the 6 prong. I think that it makes the ring rounder, more secure, and hoenstly when I look at the 4 prongs, I always feel like the two others look like they are missing haha. It is really a presonal preference though! Go with what you love, what you lean toward 🙂

Post # 41
300 posts
Helper bee

For round solitaires, I usually prefer 6 dainty prongs with larger diamonds and 4 dainty prongs with smaller diamonds (say less than around 3/4 ct).  So in your case, I prefer the 6 prongs.  But it also appears based on your photos that the prongs on your initial 4 prong setting were more dainty than the ones on your new 6 prong setting.  If that is the case, maybe you can ask the jeweler to re-work the prongs to so they are more dainty.  Congratulations! 

Post # 42
879 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2019

I agree with PP that a dainty 6 prong setting would make it look better. I prefer 6 prongs on round solitaires as it matches the round shape better.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors