4 prong? 6 prong? Double claw prong? What did you get and more importantly, why?

posted 5 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
7492 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

4 prongs for me. Anything more starts to overtake the stone in my opinion.

Post # 4
68 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: March 2013 - Garden at Heather Farms

I ended up getting 4 prongs becuase I felt the six prongs would make my oval stone look  round. I opted for double claw prong becuase I felt it added a more vintage look to it. Hope this helps! 🙂

Post # 5
5407 posts
Bee Keeper

I love double claw prongs. 

Post # 6
4628 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I love double claw prongs, if the stone is big enough, otherwise it overpowers the stone.

I love this one on ebay and am thinking of getting it with a 2 carat stone in it.

Post # 8
8044 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2013

@GoldieGlitters:  4 prongs leave more of the stone exposed, so IMO it’s easier to knock/break it. Not sure how fragile moissanite is, but diamonds can crack/chip if hit just right. 6 prongs make the diamond look rounder and more secure.

I love the look of some 4-prong round settings, but I’d probably go with 6 for the security factor unless I found a 4-prong I was completely in love with.

Post # 9
1064 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

4 double claw!  I really love how it squares off the stone a little.  Cushion was a runner-up choice, but I find cushions to be a little too square unless they’re huge, and I didn’t want a huge ring.

Post # 11
1064 posts
Bumble bee

@GoldieGlitters:  It’s a 1ct Amora enhanced from moissaniteco (4.5 finger).  Here’s the set, which looks way worse online than in person.

Post # 12
6207 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - The Liberty House

I have a round 1 carat with 6 prongs. I like the 6 prongs because it makes the stone look more round, and I like the design on the sides of my prongs

Post # 13
3830 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

six prong for my diamond to keep it secure. if one prong breaks, my diamond will still be securely kept in place until i can get it fixed. 

even though four prong shows more of the diamond, there’s a greater chance that i could lose my diamond if one prong breaks.

Post # 16
1064 posts
Bumble bee

@GoldieGlitters:  Yeah, I was nervous about buying a ring and a stone sight-unseen too and was really pleasantly surprised.  Moissaniteco has an easy return policy on loose stones, if you want to check it out before you buy!

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors