4 prong or 6 prong engagement ring.

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 16
838 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

I ended up going with a 4 prong for the look.  I was stuck between a cushion cut and a round diamond, so I liked how I could get a round diamond and have the 4 prongs give it a little square-ish look.  I’ve had mine for a year and have hit it on things a couple of times.  No problems so far.  For reference it’s a 1.47ct diamond on a size 4.

Post # 18
876 posts
Busy bee

I have six prongs around a .62 round brilliant solitaire diamond. I love the six prongs because I like how they accentuate the roundness of the stone. 

Post # 19
9 posts
Newbee

I went for 6 prongs as a typical 4-prong setting tend to make a round stone look squarish. The claws on a 4-prong are thicker and bigger as well; I prefer a tapered look!

However, you can consider a 4-prong in the NSEW setting that will solve the squarish problem and reveal more of the stone. It may be hard for you to flush your wedding band in future though – something you may want to consider when choosing the setting!

For size reference, mine’s a 0.85ct diamond on a size 3.5 finger 🙂 GOOD LUCK with your ring shopping!

Post # 20
6495 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 1997

Hmm, I’ve never felt that four prongs make a round stone look square, unless the prongs are bulky and the stone is petite. Darling Husband and I both preferred the look of four prongs, and I always felt that platinum prongs on a YG band help the prongs kind of disappear. The light is hitting the top two in this photo, but I find that they generally all appear like the bottom two with everyday wear. Mine is a 1.71 diamond, so not as large as the 2+ ct stones, but Blue Nile saw no issue with four prongs instead of six in terms of security.

Post # 21
26 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2015

I love the look of 4 prongs 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors