(Closed) 4 prong or 6 prong? Solitaire ring, I can't decide! Show me yours!

posted 7 years ago in Rings
Post # 46
975 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
Daisylovex3:  I think its totally personal preference. I have a 4 prong setting. Mainly because I don’t like the way prongs look in general, and for me, the fewer the better. I told my husband I wanted a solitaire with teeny tiny claw prongs and this is what he came up with 🙂

Post # 47
8601 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

View original reply
honeybee2014:  gorgeous gorgeous stone and ring! Looks very Harry Winston. 4 prong makes sense with the baguettes. 

Post # 48
1786 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

My ring is obviously not solitare but it is clear to see that my center is secured with 6 prongs and I’ve got to say, I love the look and the security of the extra 2 prongs. I’ve had 4 friends lose their centerstones with 4 prongs from 1 prong breaking.

Post # 49
4113 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Mine is a 4 prong. I was originally torn between a round brilliant diamond and a cushion cut diamond so maybe that’s why I’m partial to the look of 4 prongs.

In terms of security, I find it to be secure but, I’m sure by default its not as secure as 2 additional prongs would be.

Some pics for reference (my new phone takes much better pics than my old one so I included a few!).

Post # 50
8515 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

View original reply
KC-2722:  Can I just say that I love your hair (based on the bit we can see haha!). I’m thinking of doing some lighter balayage highlights so am inspired!

Post # 52
8601 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

View original reply
KC-2722:  just curious, what carat weight is your DBTY necklace? 

Post # 53
176 posts
Blushing bee

View original reply
Daisylovex3:  My SO chose 6 prong for me. He put a lot of thought into my setting and I love it. I don’t think 6 prong has to cover the diamond at all! I have 6 but they are delicate and I have a thin platinum band that is a slightly tapered knife edge. I like the extra security the 6 prongs give the diamond. I would be devastated if I lost it even if insurance could replace it. 

Post # 54
2009 posts
Buzzing bee

Mine is a 4 prong 🙂

I didn’t have a preference. I think as long as it’s well made it’ll be secure. But I see how if, say, one of my prongs fall off you’d lose the center stone but with 6 one could fall off and you wouldn’t. Hope none fall off!!

Post # 55
43 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2016

i specifically told my Fiance that I liked a 6 prong setting. I love that it makes a round diamond look round where a 4 prong setting can make it look more square.

Post # 56
496 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

View original reply
Daisylovex3:  i posted a pic earlier on the thread (i think!) here’s a few quick shots.  It needs a good polish.

Post # 58
319 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

6 prong if your center is larger. Makes it more secure!

Post # 59
19 posts
Newbee

I had mine changed from 4 to 6 so here’s a before and after that might be helpful. I love both, but my preference is 6!  

Post # 60
6256 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

View original reply
KC-2722:  <— what she said! I would have chosen a cushion cut (this round is an heirloom), so I got four prongs to make it look a little bit that way. 

The topic ‘4 prong or 6 prong? Solitaire ring, I can't decide! Show me yours!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors