(Closed) 4 prong or 6 prong? Solitaire ring, I can't decide! Show me yours!

posted 7 years ago in Rings
Post # 76
952 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: City, State

DH and I decided on 6 when we were shopping. When he found my setting and they had to set my stone, he asked to change the setting from 4 to 6. The jeweler failed for some reason and it took DH (the BF) wayyy too long to get the ring back, so when he noticed he decided it looked great anyway and proposed. He mentioned the mess up to me hours after he proposed, but at that point I was not willing to give my ring back and I loved it.  

They are pretty hefty prongs so I’m not worried about safety but sometimes (2.5 years later) I wonder if I should go for 6. But im worried I’ll hate it after I got used to my ring or that the taper of my setting wouldn’t look right with it  

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by RedWine13.
  • This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by RedWine13.
Post # 77
782 posts
Busy bee

SIX! Definitely 6 prongs. It’s classic, gives the stone a round look and is more secure.

There’s something about 4 prongs that I just don’t like…can’t put my finger on it. 

Post # 78
999 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2016

I like my 4 prongs ring. The only problem is as others mentioned sometimes it makes the diamond look more square. I like 6 prongs as well as long as it’s a bigger diamond- it can look silly having all those prongs to hold up a tiny rock!

Post # 79
2292 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

When I had a solitaire I had it w/ six prongs. I prefer six prongs, especially on stones over 1 ct. 

Post # 80
135 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

Here’s my 6 prong babe! Yellow gold band, white gold basket! It will be beautiful no matter what… I think 6 prongs enhance the diamonds round shape & gave a bit of extra security! It’s just preference, though. Either way, your ring will be STUNNING. <3 

Post # 82
4176 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

my 4 prong

Post # 83
135 posts
Blushing bee

View original reply
pinkcorsage:  thank you sooo much!!!

Post # 84
1680 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2016

View original reply
ahelpfulbee142:  

The 6 prong makes your stone appear larger 🙂

Post # 85
5 posts
Newbee

I absolutely LOVE my 4 prong!!!!! 

Post # 86
771 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

My ring was originally 4 prong but one of the prongs kept lifting away from the diamond which made it loose. Jewler recommended we change to 6 and it’s been fine ever since.

i also don’t agree that 6 prongs are better security for larger stones. My ring is 0.50 and it still came loose

Post # 87
116 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

love mine 6 prong  🙂

Post # 88
223 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2015 - Museum

I went through the same dilemma, but we finally ended up going with 6 prongs for the extra security 

Post # 89
135 posts
Blushing bee

View original reply
londonchick:  but 6-prongs made it more secure… Hence the extra-security theory!! 

Post # 90
771 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

View original reply
AgeyBones:  sorry it’s my fault for not making my point clear, it seemed to be suggested that 6 prongs are better for larger stones and my stone isn’t large but it still needed extra security because of the claw lifting 

The topic ‘4 prong or 6 prong? Solitaire ring, I can't decide! Show me yours!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors