(Closed) 4 prong versus 6 prong with a round stone?

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
509 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2002

I have a 6 prong and was told by my jeweler to get that b/c if one prong breaks or is loose, you have a better chance to not losing your diamond. but with four prong, if one breaks, you have a very high chance of losing your diamond. 

Post # 5
1815 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013 - Pavilion overlooking golf course scenery, reception at banquet hall

Holy crap, ring twin!! Like, right down to the six prong in the picture lol. May I ask where you are getting this setting from? I wonder if they both came from the same casting company?

Anyway, I chose six prong. They enhance the round shape, whereas four prong gives it a more square look. Six prongs also better protects the girdle, where stones chip the most. And if a prong is damaged, the stone will be less likely to straight-up fall out. The only factor that made me hesitate is that more prongs allow less light flow. This should only affect you if your stone isn’t excellent cut (no light leaking through the bottom, resulting in dark spots) but it doesn’t sound like you’re getting a diamond – I’m not sure what the cut standards are for moiss/CZ/etc so I’m not sure what to recommend in that regard :/

Post # 6
9631 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2019

i think six prong is safer for the diamond πŸ™‚ i have a six prong and i love it πŸ™‚

Post # 8
1815 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013 - Pavilion overlooking golf course scenery, reception at banquet hall

Forgot to add to my post that it would probably be helpful for me to post a real-life pic of my ring since they are so similar/identical, but I do not have it yet because Boyfriend or Best Friend is taking his sweet time with popping any questions… message me around labor day, though, we’re going on vacation to Grand Cayman and I’m pretty sure he’s gonna do it then πŸ™‚

AND I forgot to add two links that helped me decide:
Prong style comparison:
http://www.pricescope.com/wiki/engagement-rings/prong-setting-styles
A “Show me your 6-prong” kinda thread:
http://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/6-prong-pics-t115131.html

πŸ™‚

The topic ‘4 prong versus 6 prong with a round stone?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors