(Closed) 4 prongs? 6 prongs? 8 prongs? Is there a difference in how secure the stone is?

posted 7 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
2331 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 1995

I have an amethyst with prongs like that. It is sturdy. 

Post # 3
220 posts
Helper bee

I’ve heard the opposite. More prongs = more security because if you break a prong on a 6 you still have 5 holding your stone. With a 4 prong you’ll probably lose the stone.

That’s a beautiful setting. I say get what you love.

Post # 4
406 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

The more prongs, the more secure.  Period.  🙂

Post # 5
3058 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
owlette22:  All the jewelers I’ve ever spoken to have indicated that the more prongs would give you more security.  For example, if you have a four prong and broke one off — you have much more surface area of your diamond exposed and likely to fall out of the setting.  Versus a 6 prong, you would still have 5 prongs still holding the stone in, and less surface area exposed — less likely to lose your stone in that case.

With that being said, many people will four prong rings will never damage a prong enough to lose a stone.  I think it comes down to a matter of personal preference of what you like most and will give you confidence that your stone is secure.

I have a six prong because I like the round appearance it gives to my RB, and my prongs are VERY sturdy.  I have no concerns of losing my diamond ever.  The prongs in the picture you shared don’t look too delicate to me.

Post # 6
10041 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2013

I’m sure it’s very secure, the prongs have a very wide base. Typically 6 or 8 prongs are better for security than 4 prongs because there’s more protecting the stones girdle from chipping and if 1 prong breaks you still have several more prongs holding it in place. If you only have 4 prongs and 1 breaks well then your SOL!! I love that setting btw! Donhov makes a ring very similar to mine. Yay for petal designs! Although on my ring they arnt prongs. You should go for it, it’s really a stunning ring 🙂

Post # 9
228 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

View original reply
owlette22: gorgeous setting. Go for it! Great profile too, you can have any wedding band and not worry about it not sitting flush against the engagement ring band.  

View original reply
majorairhead:  that’s a beautiful ring. More pictures please. 

Post # 10
354 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

8 prongs are my favorite look!

Post # 12
303 posts
Helper bee

I’ve always heard more is more secure, but some people don’t like as many because it ‘hides’ more of the diamond. My ering is a simple 4 prong and the prongs do get knocked uneven (but the diamond stays secure) often enough. For our 10 year anniversary I want a new mounting with more prongs OR gold wrapping around the diamond. I don’t like worrying it will fall out when I knock it around, and I am not gentle on my ring. I wear is 24/7 and my job is very hands on.

Post # 13
38 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I love my 8 pronged ring

313494_10150527521248625_63564840_n

The topic ‘4 prongs? 6 prongs? 8 prongs? Is there a difference in how secure the stone is?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors