4 prongs or 6?

posted 8 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
1213 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

I’ve heard that you should take your ring for a ‘check up’ at the jewellers every 6 months or so, so they can check it. Theoretically 6 prong would be safer because there would be less of a gap if one prong bent. But I think you should go with which ever you think looks better and just keep an eye on it.

Post # 4
1051 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

When I worked for a diamond wholesaler, they didn’t use 4 prong for round stones over a certain size due to the higher propensity to lose the stone.  The avoided 6 prong for smaller stones also because more prongs covers more diamond surface and allows less light.

You should take your ring for regular inspection and cleaning where the jeweler will check the prongs for integrity regardless of how many prongs you choose.

Post # 5
255 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Mine’s an oval with 4 prongs and its perfect! Then again, I’ve only had it about 6 months! I will take it in for inspection every now and then as our jeweller is very close by and we drop in for a chat every now and then (great for a quick clean too)

Post # 6
2867 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I think it would depend on diamond shape. Bezel set or more prongs would definitely be safer but might not be necessary on some diamonds. But then again I have a marquise diamond and I’d be scared only having 4 prongs on it.

Post # 7
523 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

My jeweler said 6 prongs is much, much safer for round stones. Other stones are fine with 4 because of the shape.

Post # 8
673 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I would rather have four thicker prongs than six thin ones. I think as long as you get it checked often it’s pretty safe.

Post # 9
673 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Twalila may have a point. If my ring cost over 8000 I would want six prongs protecting it! Mine was only 800 dollars, so I don’t even have insurance 🙂

Post # 10
1021 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

i have a somewhat pricey 4 prong ring. they told me i have to get it checked every 6 months and that i should check it myself every week. if i feel anything “off”, stop wearing it and bring it in immediately. they said they rarely have people break the 4-prong rings though. even if one of my prongs broke, there is still an adhesive holding the stone in..i think i would quickly notice a broken prong.

i liked the look of the 4 prong better, it shows more of the diamond.

but, just in case, i have insurance 🙂

Post # 11
529 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I think that, depending on the shape of the stone, as long as you’re willing to keep an eye on it, four prongs is probably fine.  I love my ring to death, but I know I probably don’t really see the prongs most days when I look at it.  With six prongs, I know that if one shifts, bends, or breaks off, my diamond won’t go anywhere.  With four prongs, if you lose a prong, your diamond may fall out (especially with a round diamond).

Post # 12
101 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I agree with Camrie — I would think for round rings, 6 prongs would be safer, though I would understand Twalila’s comment about not wanting to obscure smaller diamonds with 6 prongs, either. I have a cushion cut, so 6 wouldn’t really work — or it could, but would look funny. =)

Post # 13
279 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I have a good size round diamond with 4 prongs. My fiance chose it to show off more of the diamond and I’m glad he did.

That said,  that sucker is insured!

Post # 14
218 posts
Helper bee

There’s no difference in the safety of your ring in a four prong or six prong, just as long as you take care of it, and that you bring it in for a checkup every 6 months.

Post # 15
229 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I have a round solitaire that’s a bit over a carat (1.18).  Our jeweler suggested 6 prongs because he felt it is a safer setting for the shape and size of my stone.  I agree with twalila. 

Post # 16
1510 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

My ring is from Blue Nile and I have a large round center stone with 4 prongs.  Most, if not all, of their settings are only made wth 4 prongs and can hold round center ctones in most cases slightly over 4 carats.  As long as you have your ring insured and have it checked every 6 months, there is no reason for you to get 6 prongs.  I have a pair of 3.0 ctw earrings – 1.5 ct each and they have 6 prongs.  I wish they only had 4.

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors