(Closed) 4 prongs vs. 6 prongs

posted 8 years ago in Rings
Post # 17
666 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

I like 4 – it really shows off the stone.

I’m impressed by your CZ rings – very pretty.  I might have to get one of those for traveling places where I don’t want to wear my rings.

Post # 18
751 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I like 4-prong. Never liked the look of 6-prong. Unlike others, I think it actually takes away from a round stone if you have 6 prongs. 

Post # 19
57 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I may be biased, but I prefer the look of a 6-prong (and I’ve been hoping for an excuse to share my ring). 🙂 Both types can be ruined by ugly large prongs, but I think both can be equally beautiful, too.

Post # 20
780 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

Dangit these questions about 4/6prong are so difficult especially with pics!  Biased, as I changed out my 4p to 6p (mostly because I felt too much of the stone was vulnerable to impact being a clutz).  Go with what is visually asthetic to you, but if you choose 4p make sure the prongs are thick and significant, for protection of the stone.  Just my paranoid two cents.

Post # 21
8469 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

View original reply
@ofroyalty:  Your ring is absolutely gorgeous!!!!  You have the absolute perfect size center stone!!

As for me, I never once even thought of the prongs when I went shopping.  All I know is that I’ve heard the stone is more secure with 6 prongs instead of 4.  When I look at other people’s rings, I never even notice how many prongs they have. 

Post # 22
560 posts
Busy bee

I like the four prong. Never liked the look of the six prong. The four prong keeps the diamond held in, while actually letting the diamond show through. The six prongs are alot of coverage on your rock

Post # 23
2203 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

View original reply
@ofroyalty:  haha thank you! I think it looks huge because the band is so thin and dainty. I loveee your band. It is so unique and the profile is awesome! 

Post # 24
1613 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I would never have my diamonds set in anything less then 6 prongs. I just need that extra security. 

Post # 25
8469 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

View original reply
@ForeverAndEverAfter:   I just need that extra security.  +1  I agree with this too.. As long as I know that baby is being held in at its best, I’m better.

Post # 26
780 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@ForeverAndEverAfter:  So hear you.  Just a personal preference.  Nevermind the fact that I have a three stone heirloom princess set in 4prongs shared and that ring has had the prongs tightened about 3 times in the last year as a stone on the sides were lose.  No banging it, nothing, just that the way the 4p trellis on those princess cuts just needed one shifty prong to make the diamond loose.  Can’t.  I’m considering resetting the princess heirloom because of the constant loosening of the side stones.  Six prongs, for me, for any solitare is worth not looking down at your hand on the shopping cart at Wholefoods and seeing a center stone missing.  (Can you imagine?? Ugh)  Insurance or no, I don’t want that scenario.

Either way, the 4prongs on here are gorgeous also.

Post # 27
2268 posts
Buzzing bee

I actually prefer 8 prongs for a round brilliant, so I vote for 6.

I feel it shows off the shape of the stone better – with 4 prongs, I visually create a square by joining the prongs with straight lines and I feel it makes the stone look funny.

Post # 28
4 posts
Wannabee

I love my 4 prong! 

Post # 29
922 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I have 6, which is what I always wanted.  I agree with Mischka that 4 makes it look more like a princess cut.  My jeweler also confirmed that 6 was the best for my size of stone (holds it more securely). Excuse the not to good picture.

Post # 30
2346 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Four prong! I’ve had zero problems for over a year with mine and I have over a carat and a half. I love the amount of light it allows in and out which is MAX!

Post # 31
780 posts
Busy bee

six prong and I can’t count how many times those extra prongs saved the day every time I accidentally knock the ring on something.  

The topic ‘4 prongs vs. 6 prongs’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors