(Closed) 4 prongs vs. 6 prongs

posted 8 years ago in Rings
Post # 33
3033 posts
Sugar bee

Mine is six prong.  It looks hexagonal rather than square from a distance.

Post # 33
8 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 1969

My solitaire is held together with a 6-prong setting. No complaints.

Post # 34
128 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

Mine is a 4 prong, I prefer a square looking diamond but I wanted a round brilliant cut so the 4 prong setting makes my diamond look square but I was able to get the round cut I wanted 🙂

Post # 35
213 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

View original reply
jeepgirl44:  I am in love with your setting!  I LOVE a thin, sparkly band but they can be hard to find!  Is yours french set??  It’s beautiful :).

Post # 36
616 posts
Busy bee

I have a 6 prong. My fI knows I do a lot with my hands at work and I’m not the most gentle person on my jewelry (though I’m trying to be better!) I love it its sill crazy sparkly and I love how it keeps the round shape.

Post # 37
7506 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 1997

I prefer the look of 4 prongs, as I like to see as much of the stone as possible. And while the prongs are more noticeable up close, mine kind of disappear at any distance and I never think it looks square instead of round. Ultimately, there are well done settings with either option, and both can be equally beautiful, IMO.

Post # 38
8 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 1969

View original reply
Meredith80:  Thank you 🙂 Yes, it’s JA’s French Pave set. It looks really delicate but it’s not. I think it was only $500 for this set which includes 19 tiny diamonds. Good.Freaking.Deal!

Post # 39
2690 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: County courthouse

I think your ring looks good with four prongs. I prefer 6 prongs. If a four pronged ring prong breaks…the stone gets loose and lost. If a prong on a 6 pronged ring breaks…the stone is loose but stays put.  Also..some shapes look better with four prongs. Like cushion cut…radiant cut or princess cut. Here is my six pronged beauty!

Post # 40
213 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

View original reply
jeepgirl44:  It’s absolutely beautiful. And agreed — that’s a great deal for some fab sparkle! 🙂 As a ring newbie, I am guessing that JA stands for James Allen?

Post # 41
259 posts
Helper bee

Mine is a 6. The jeweler told my FH it would be more secure and over 1 CT they always recommend.

Post # 42
10572 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2013

I have 4 split prongs and I don’t think it looks squareish. But i love 6 prong settings too, can’t go wrong with either in my opinion!

Post # 43
327 posts
Helper bee

I have a 4 prong .64 ct solitaire and I have knocked it loose once by smashing my hand on a doorway. I noticed it right away and put it away to make sure the stone didn’t fall out. I can def see why a six prong would be more secure. I am a bit of a klutz.

Post # 44
2 posts
Wannabee

View original reply
jeepgirl44 :  This is absolutly beautiful!!! What did you end up choosing for your wedding band?!

The topic ‘4 prongs vs. 6 prongs’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors