4 "special" dances? (first dance, father-daughter, mother-son, mother-daughter)

posted 5 months ago in Reception
Post # 2
1867 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2016

willowbee :  Keep the songs for each under 2 minutes, have them cut short so it’s not 15-30 minutes of special dances.  

Post # 4
52 posts
Worker bee

As long as you cut the dances short it should be fine. however, expecting people to sit through 4 full songs along with the time it takes to switch between songs could get long for them… unless there was something else for them to do at the same time. (like drinks and appetizers)

Post # 5
277 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

I can’t think of anything more snooze-inducing than watching 8 minutes of special dances. How many is too many for your guests? More than one. 

Doesn’t mean you can’t do it though 🙂

Post # 7
1142 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

IMO, yes, I think it is too long, unless you cut them down to only 1.5-2 min each. 

We are just doing our first dance + father/daughter, both to cut down songs. 

We will both dance with our moms during one of the slow dances, that way we both get the special time with out moms but everyone else can dance too. 

Post # 8
4514 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

willowbee :  Maybe you could just switch off mid-song for the three besides the first dance? Like have one song with father-daughter and mother-son and then you switch out dad for mom mid-song. That way it’s only one song, but everyone gets in there? 

Post # 9
6920 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2016

Personally, I think the fewer dances the better and 4 is too much. If you really want to do it I would keep each song under 2 minutes.

Post # 10
47 posts
Newbee

I don’t think 4 special dances are too much at all and what a nice way to include your Mom! I’ve been to a few weddings that brides danced with their Dad and StepDad so I don’t see why adding in your Mom would be any different. I personally don’t mind the special dances, around here it’s an opportunity to sit after cocktail hour and rest up for the dancing ; )

Post # 11
1474 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2019

willowbee :  Those are all pretty standard. Some people don’t enjoy the special dances but some do, if it’s important to you then do them. We have decided to split ours up throughout the reception instead of doing them all in a row. Since our cake is going to be part of a full dessert bar, we are going to do our first dance right after dinner and then immediately cut the cake. The father daughter dance will be a little after and the mother son dance even later than that. 

Post # 12
676 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

winterash :  Agree. More than one is too much. Can’t you just do the parents dances throughout the evenings dancing while everyone else is up?

Post # 13
3016 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

What about if you have a way that you rotate through all of the parent dances with one song and then transition to you and your new husband doing your first dance to a different song but then people can join you on the dance floor midway through your dance? That way the configurations remain interesting and people aren’t having to sit for a long time. Unless you are professional dancers or choreograph a performance, it’s not all that interesting to watch people slow dance together.

Post # 14
1064 posts
Bumble bee

It’s your wedding, do what you want… but keep the dances short

I went to a wedding where they did the 4 you mention, by the time they wee done the mother-daughter dance I was bored to tears, no one paid attention and it was kind of brutal

frankly, i don’t even like the mother-son/daddy daughter dances… I’d rather just have to sit through one and then have a designated song I dance with my dad too later in the night while everyone is already in party mode

Post # 15
4340 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: February 2009

winterash :  agree.  But OP, if it is special for you, go for it.  But personally, I would just do the first dance, and then all other dances can be done, but without the full attention of the room.  They can still be special to you without making everyone else sit through it.  

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors