4 vs 6 prong basket setting for oval

posted 7 months ago in Rings
Post # 2
1589 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2019 - City, State

For an oval, I prefer the 4 prong. 4 prong is plenty secure and aesthetically, I don’t think the 6 prong is all that appealing. The prongs on the sides detract from the shape of the stone IMO.

Post # 3
1527 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2018 - Location

4 prong will be secure. 6 would be overwhelming for a 0.6 oval in that setting

Post # 4
570 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2016 - Temecula, California

DEFINITELY the 4. The 6 prong is way too much. 

Post # 5
367 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

I prefer the 4, I think the 6 prongs consume the stone too much X

Post # 6
5394 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: July 2018

I think 4 would be much better. I have a .7 oval with 4 prongs and I don’t think it would need 6 at all,m.

Post # 7
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: March 2018

I had a 6 prong that I reset to 4 due to the top prongs getting caught on stuff and scratching me! It’s the same stone but looks much bigger and more classic to me now.

Post # 9
178 posts
Blushing bee

Four prong all the way.

It lets more light in and doesn’t take away from the diamond as much as the six prong. I do have a four prong e ring with a basket though so I could be biased 🙂

Post # 10
42 posts
Newbee

I have 4 prong oval and it’s plenty secure! 

Post # 11
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: March 2018

Thanks! It’s a 7x5mm moissanite which is equivalent to a .94ct oval diamond on a size 5.5 ring. I’ve found that it doesn’t feel any less secure with fewer prongs due to the basket setting. However when I go camping or rock climbing I tend to just wear a plain gold band or nothing at all just as it’s not usually worth risking deep scratches in the gold or damaging the prongs or stone, no matter how secure the stone is.

Post # 12
6441 posts
Bee Keeper

I would definitely do a 6 prong basket.

Post # 13
422 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2005 - Greenwood

2.1 carat oval 4 prong basket setting, it’s very secure. The 6 prong changes the overall look and takes away from the stone unless you have like a 3 carat or higher. Good luck in your decision and get the one that makes you happy!

Post # 14
367 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

I would say 4 claws is plenty secure enough, what’s your intended carat weight for the stone? I agree with PP if it’s above 3 ct then maybe consider the 6 again. Anything below that, stick with the 4 because 6 will smother the stone. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors