(Closed) 4 weeks pregnant Hcg is 12. Any hope?

posted 4 years ago in TTC
Post # 2
795 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

4 weeks since last mentrual cycle right? Not since ovulation?  For me: 11 days post ovulation mine was 31, 13 days it was 130something.   Then I am not sure where it went as they didnt continue to test since it was doubling well, but at my 1st trimester screening it was 12… (yes, 12, .01 percentile).  That being said, I am having a healthy pregnancy, 18 weeks tomorrow.  hCG doesn’t give any 100% on the prognosis of a pregnancy.  My doctors think I am using a slightly differant hCG hormone that isn’t picked up (trisomy 18 ruled out)

Post # 3
795 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

PS, best wishes!

Post # 4
2251 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

First of all, asking medical advice of such nature on a social board is a mistake. You should contact your OBGYN and address all your concerns. Only after appropriate testing like serial HCG, possible US and a physical exam can determine the viability of pregnancy. No one on this website can answer your questions  for sure. Ask your doctor, and stop freaking out until you are told to do so by your MD. 

Post # 5
1069 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Well, there’s always hope in life, but I have to say that sadly it doesn’t look good. If it was late implantation and was on an upward trajectory that would be a different situation, but HCG going down after strong BFPs unfortunately means that the pregnancy is not progressing. I’m so sorry.

Post # 8
4426 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

Alip22:  This is not intended to scare you, because nothing is for sure at this point. With my first pregnancy (ended in a natural MC at 6.5 weeks) my hcg around 16DPO was 74. It doubled within 24, but then over the next week plummeted (without me knowing). A faint BFP after a strong usually does indicate a CP, but nothing is for sure. I hope your numbers double! If not, please know you can still have a very healthy, successful pregnancy (but saying that doesn’t take away the hurt of a CP or MC). We were lucky enough to get pregnant the next cycle and I am at 8+3 and doing well so far, hoping it continues. Thinking of you!

Post # 10
948 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

Alip22: I hate to give bad news but I would prepare for the worst. I’ve had 3 early losses this year and one of them was over pretty quickly and similar to your situation. Tests got lighter and super low first beta. By second beta I was not pregnant. My other 2 losses were a bit further on and the hcg rose for a couple of weeks then dropped. So if it is bad news I am really sorry and thinking of you. Even early losses are traumatic and hard to process.

Post # 11
2449 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Alip22:  posted on the POAS thread with a link to some info about betas. I sure do hope it works out for you!

Like KatiePi:  I had an early loss with low betas at 4.5 weeks that didn’t double in 72hrs and confirmed loss at 5wk. My OB was very reassuring and said it was actually an indication that a lot of thing did go right and a very good indicator that I would likely become pregnant naturally again, usually it’s a chromosome problem with the egg/sperm and an early loss is not uncommon.

That was in Nov (TTC cycle 6) and I got another BFP in Feb (TTC cycle 10) and am now 15w. i got a much darker BFP much sooner (12dpo) and then positive digital same day and the weeks indicator digital progressed over the next couple of weeks, had early betas drawn again this time and waiting for those numbers was so hard but so reassuring to see those double. Saw the heartbeat and little blob of a babyat 6wk ultrasound and then heard it and saw baby looking like an actually cute baby at 12wk. So far so good! There are many of us on here (several in my nov mamas board too!) who  had a single early loss and gone on to have a healthy pregnancy shortly after! Hugs to you my dear, either way, chances are you will go on to have a healthy pregnancy!  

Post # 12
122 posts
Blushing bee

I had a similwr experience with FRERs; the line kept getting lighter until it ultimately disappeared. I think I got my period about three days after  my first negative FRER. Next cycle I ovulated a day early at cd 13 and got pregnant again. Thankfully, this pregnancy is going well, in fact I’m exactly 29 weeks today!

It is crushing to have a CP but it may help to keep in mind that they’re very common and they’re rarely recurrent. I hope everything goes well for you but even if it is a CP, hopefully my story is at least a little bit encouraging! WhenI was going through this, I remember reading several similar stories!

For what its worth, my guess is that with ectopics hcg is usually high because of earlier implantation but I could be wrong.. However, even if it was ectopic, decreasing hcg levels would logically indicate that the embryo is nit growing and therefore it’s less likely that your tube would get ruptured. Again, I’m not a doctor so I could be wrong!

Post # 14
3729 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: City, State

Alip22:  I am so sorry. This sounds like my CP. I know it isn’t what you wanted to hear. We continued to try right away, but had a long cycle (I ovulated on CD 35). 

Post # 15
4426 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

Alip22:  One thing to keep in mind, the range for hcg is HUGE. Like, ridiculously huge and I do believe 12 is on the lower end of the range, but still in it. Like HeyJude, my second first BFP (both at 12DPO) was much, much stronger and I finally got to 3+ weeks on a digital (and then I stopped testing). I refused betas this pregnancy because unfortunately now I know it really is just a crapshoot. To ease your fears, my MC was almost exactly like a normal period because I was still so early (a bit more cramping). I ovulated at exactly the normal time in my cycle (CD21-even after having Strep for the first time ever that same cycle) and we got lucky. Even with late ovulation, baby measured right at 8 weeks at our appointment this past Tuesday. This doesn’t guatantee us a successful pregnancy, but does show that we can produce a healthy baby. Wishing you all the best!

The topic ‘4 weeks pregnant Hcg is 12. Any hope?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors