(Closed) 4 year engagement?

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
1470 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Good for you for wanting to wait until you are done with school and have saved up money I think thats great!!!  No need to rush…. You will have the wedding of your dreams.  You really dont have to do too much now just save all you can and graduate ๐Ÿ™‚  You can think about the kind of wedding you would want, outdoor, church destination…. you can get and collect lots of ideas!  but nothing you really need to start on!

Congrats and good luck!

Post # 4
598 posts
Busy bee

My Fiance and I are 20 and we are having a 3 year long engagement (to the day) due to completing university. I think you’ll probably get some flack because “Why bother getting engaged”. However I felt getting engaged was important to us because we are far more serious than boyfriend/girlfriend, we live together, and have many future plans. You need to do what feels best for you. You will have been together a long time before you tie the knot, which is great! Anyways, best of luck ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 5
3471 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

We had a 2 year engagement for the exact same reason– we were planning on 4, but got better jobs than we were planning so we moved up the date. 

My brother was engaged for over 5 years before they got married (together for 10). 

There’s nothing wrong with a long engagement, if anything it’ll help you apprecieate this time even more. 

Post # 6
205 posts
Helper bee

if you love eachother, nothing is too long.

My hubby and i have waited and waited… contantly putting other finances first, time for this and for that.

I think its smart to focus on your school finances… and you never know in 4 years your plans for an extravagant wedding could change.

Mine did, all i want now is a SMALL destination wedding.

If you are worried what people will think… send a save the date with

“yes were engaged, save the date 2016”

then you dont have to worry about all the gossip of waiting .

Post # 7
1623 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Congratulations!  While a 4-year engagement would drive me nuts (I’d be too antsy & impulsive! Wink), I commend you for waiting until you are done with school and a little more financially stable.

I’m not quite sure how things are in Ireland, but in the U.S. many venues won’t let you book until 1-2 years out.  So either way you may have to wait.  I would also wait incase plans change over the next 4 years—maybe you LOVE a venue today, put down a payment, and then in 2 years a new venue is built that you HAVE to get married in.

I know I changed my mind a million times in my 1 year 2 month engagement.  It’s hard not to as you find new ideas/trends and your tastes change a bit.  I would wait until the year or so before to start making solid plans. But, you could always start collecting ideas now!

Good luck!!

The topic ‘4 year engagement?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors