(Closed) 4 years and no proposal

posted 5 years ago in Proposals
Post # 2
219 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
aabyqf:  My SO proposed about two months prior to our 5 year anniversary. He asked for ring preference and size about a year before. He took six months to plan my proposal (secretly). Sometimes I think they take their time trying to make it perfect and special. My SO got a bit annoyed with me if I got too specific and crazy while he was planning it.

Is there a reason for him to think that he won’t be able to buy you a “good enough” ring?

I think you should hold to moving in alone if that’s what you want. 

Post # 4
302 posts
Helper bee

I’m in the same boat, 4 years and a 2 year old son but no engagement or marriage.

Did  both discuss your desire to be married before purchasing a home together before you went through the motions of purchasing a home? Or was this brought up recently after to offer was made and closing date set? You say the majority is f your savings, is he contributing? If so, I think it’s unfair to now say he can’t move in until you’re married… Heck, that’s 3 months away! That’s a lot of pressure!

i can completely relate  the jealousy but you have to remind yourself that your relationship is different and unique and you can’t compare. We have so many friends who’ve gotten together and married within the span of our relationship and it’s tough! If he’s still struggling financially, men aren’t usually going to jump on the boat and get married until they feel they can support themselves and their wife. 

Good luck bee, I know being patient is tough (oh trust me, I know). Maybe sit down and have a real at length discussion about BOTH of your wants and needs.

Post # 6
3302 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I assume you and your SO have been living together for a while and sharing your lives, but if you’re not on the same page regarding commitment that’s going to create some serious resentment on your part. You can’t make him propose, and your plan to move into the house yourself is reasonable, provided you realize that it may be the end of the relationship. Given these circumstances however, it would be unwise to buy a house with him. 

Post # 7
508 posts
Busy bee

I’m sorry you’re going through this. Does he think that you will want to get married immediately after you get engaged? Perhaps he is thinking of not only the ring costs but then the whole kit and caboodle for the wedding. Maybe – if this applies – reassure him that you’re ok with having a small wedding since money is tight?

Post # 8
302 posts
Helper bee

Waiting is so tough, makes you feel like you’re in limbo! Just try not to focus on all that other stuff that every one else is doing! I’m the middle of helping one  my best friends plan her wedding in 5 months (she’s been with her Fiance half the time I’ve been with SO) after sitting around ogling all the wedding stuff with her it makes me very stabby towards him! Lol. 

Has he given you any timelines? Maybe that would ease your fears and angst a bit to know what’s *really* going on inside his head.

Post # 11
302 posts
Helper bee

Well, after 4 years and in the process of purchasing a home (congrats on that btw!) you are certainly not wrong to ask him what he’s thinking as far as marriage goes. I think many of  can relate with “pushing the envelope” 😂. I finally told my guy “look, I’m not staying your Girlfriend for the rest of our lives soooo… Wtf is going on? I know you’ve said you’d like to, but realize I’m not spending  next couple  years waiting and wondering. You know I want to get married, you know it’s important to me. I will not bring it up again, but do not mistake that I won’t still be thinking about it <daily>”. I haven’t given a timeline or ultimatum because if I do he’s going to be resistant to being “bossed around” but I think it’s paramount they know you want to get married, it’s important to you and the why of why it’s so important to you.

Post # 12
219 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
aabyqf:  Totally understandable wanting to pay outright. Have you considered “alternative” rings like sapphire, moissanite, etc? Those are generally a bit less expensive.

Since he lives with and gives his parents money, could they agree on a set amount each month to help cover expenses? Then he might be able to have a better saving plan. 

It’s frustrating for sure! Maybe see if he has a timeline in his head or what he plans on doing when your house closing is if you’re not married.

Post # 13
55 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Buying a house is a huge commitment for someone that can’t commit to your future or openly have discussions about it. Why buy a house together?

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  mordoria.
Post # 14
489 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
aabyqf:  My SO & I have been together for almost 8 years. I have been in serious waiting mode for the last 3 years. I feel that this may be the year that he proposes and we’ll be married later summer 2016. But I’ve come to realize that my relationship is not my friends and I can’t base mine off of there’s. A couple friends are working on marriage #2 in the almost 8 years we’ve been together. We have a GREAT relationship and I’ve had to learn to just enjoy what we have and let things happen as the will.

Post # 15
5778 posts
Bee Keeper

Is he giving his parents money while he’s living there to contribute toward utilities, food etc? As a grown man this seems reasonable. But it also raises several questions:

If he’s living at home (even paying room & board & even if part of this time is as a student) it would seem to me he’s had time to save for a ring- unless you’re wanting something expensive & elaborate, which I don’t sense here.

If he is giving his parents money on a regular basis, is this above and beyond shared living expenses? If so, are there extenuating circumstances, like a serious illness or injury, sudden layoff etc? Or are his parents constantly dysfunctional or entitled? Because unless there is some kind of dire situation or we’re just talking about room and board, his parents shouldn’t be a continuous drain on his resources while he’s left without savings or a down payment on a house. If it’s the latter scenerio, it’s not likely to change after marriage. 

If you have paid most of the down payment and plan to move in on your own if he doesn’t propose to you, is the house solely in your name? Because if you’re both on paper, the situation could get messy. It’s one thing to say you won’t purchase a home with someone without engagement or marriage, but it’s another to begin purchase and then put the brakes on it sans ring. I do agree with your plan to move in on your own, I’m just wondering if starting the home buying process with him will complicate things further. 

p.s. he shouldn’t be getting pissy when you bring up the topic of your future together. 

The topic ‘4 years and no proposal’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors