(Closed) 40+ and a little overwhelmed

posted 7 years ago in 40 Something
Post # 3
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

The old view was that a woman getting married for the second time was basically supposed to do it with no ceremony at all–just a trip to the courthouse for the two of them.  Fortunately, most people have gotten over that view.  However, if you’ve got people who still hold it, just ignore them–it’s their loss.

Post # 4
5984 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1999

Don’t hold back.  Celebrate your love!  <—spoken from a 1st time, 39 yr. old bride who just turned 4-Oh! 

Post # 5
3167 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

congratulations! you have every right to celebrate, so don’t feel you have to hold back! :]

Post # 6
14496 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

First of all, Welcome to the Hive!  I really think that you will find this a wonderful and supportive community to help with your special day.

Second, I don’t think you have to downplay your special day at all.  I will be 40 when we get married and the FH will be 41, this is my first and his second.  We are having a medium sized elegant evening affair with all the fixings.  I don’t thing the old views of downplaying a second marriage hold any salt anymore.  Go with what will make the two of you happy, if you want a big grand affair then you should have it, if you want small and intimate then have it.  It is up to the two of you how you want to start your married life together.  Make it the wedding of your dreams and have a blast doing it, and just ignore the naysayers.

Have fun planning and hope to see you around the planning boards.

Post # 7
1398 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I hear ya. I will be 46 on my wedding day. My first wedding, I was 20 years old and to be honest, I never really felt like that was my wedding, as my mom did most all of the planning and paid for everything, and at 20, I just plain didn’t know who I was as a person, and what and who I really wanted in my life. Now I feel like this 2nd time around, is my wedding, the one that I waited my whole life for.

You don’t have to tone down anything or listen to anyone, or worry about what is expected. The only person you have to answer to is your fiance. As long as you are happy and he is happy, it’s all good.

Post # 8
221 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Our wedding is 2 weeks before I turn 40. And were doing it big, even if weve been together for 15 years and have 2 kids 🙂 Enjoy this time!!

Post # 9
8353 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

I will be 51 when we get married. I have never had a traditional wedding with all of the trimmings, so my Fiance and I have decided that is what we are going to do this time. I have been lucky because my kids have been encouraging me all the way. I think you should ignore the naysayers and do what and how much you and your Fiance feel comfortable with. Try not to let them get to you. I am assuming that you, like us, are paying for everything yourselves. If the people that are giving you trouble aren’t contributing to the wedding, they have no say in how you want to proceed. Just try to ignore them; that is what I do. Eventually, they will come around 🙂

The topic ‘40+ and a little overwhelmed’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors