(Closed) 40+ bees – what advice would you give to your 32 year old self?

posted 7 years ago in 40 Something
Post # 18
789 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I’m 53 and my husband is 38. I see he still has the “bulletproof – there’s plenty of time” mentality about a lot of things. I think this will change when he hits 40.

When I was 32, I’d just had my first baby & my father was dying. I’d tell my younger self to

1) Care more about myself and my needs. Stop putting everyone ahead of myself and speak up more about what I want.

2) Take better care of my body.

3) Live the hell out of ever day. Don’t put things off.

4) Take vacations whenever possible

5) Don’t keep waiting for the marriage to get better…give it your best shot but don’t lose your soul.

6) Never miss an opportunity to tell people you love them.

Post # 19
1160 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Don’t get into CC debt and try save 10% of your income.

Post # 20
794 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

@ProfessorGirl:  That’s so funny because that is exactly what I started doing – and I turned 32 this year.

Post # 21
789 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

@This Time Round:  LOL!!! I can still touch my toes, but forget sitting cross-legged! And I miss running so much I actually dream about it sometimes – and my knees don’t hurt in those dreams.

Post # 22
292 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@This Time Round:  no kidding the warranty expires!  I still have my paperwork, but i keep losing it….. 50 is gonna suck!

1) Get out of the marriage now.  You have nothing in common and you can do better.

2) Keep all cancelled checks and financial records, it’ll make life easier later.

3) Spend more time with my family, many of them won’t be around next year.

4) Put yourself first.  You can’t be there for someone else if you’re not spiritually and physically capable.  (Refer to 50 year warranty).

5) Find something that you love to do and occasionally just throw yourself into it (photography, writing, running).  It helps you forget the world around you and when you come back, it’s easier to deal with the crap.

Post # 24
628 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@MissMeowMeow:  Don’t listen to that biological clock thing…think…do you really want children? The next ten years will not be your own….

Post # 25
808 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

You are so much younger than you think you are, enjoy it!

Post # 26
605 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I would say…

…don’t wait too long to have a baby! (I didn’t start trying ’til 36 and it was already too late for me.)

…keep persepective — the little slights and setbacks that seem so earth-shattering today are really only a tiny blip on the horizon.

…enjoy your 30s! It’s a special time of life when you’re all grown up but not yet getting old. It all goes by so quickly!

…make sure you’re marrying for the right reasons, not because you hear the clock ticking. (I married for the first time at 44 and thought that my last five years of singledom were the best. So glad I didn’t have a ‘practice marriage’ in my 20s like most of my friends — they put themselves through a lot of unneccessary wear and tear.)

Post # 27
4411 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2010 - Savannah, GA

Don’t take your health for granted, because you’ll lose it in your 40s (this is specifically for me).

Don’t be afraid to take a chance, because you’ll regret it. 

Don’t go into selling insurance, because you’ll hate it.

Don’t go back to school for Global Business Management, because it’s not your dream.

Post # 28
1245 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

To hold on for one more day, things are going to change.. If you hold on for one more day!;)

Post # 29
2959 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

No matter how bad things look, “this too shall pass”.

To NEVER EVER think your life is over because of a man. Men will come and go, they’re just like streetcars (sorry Rolling Stones!).

Learn to be kind to yourself. No one is perfect and everyone has their struggles. Sometimes you have to cut yourself a little slack.

Post # 30
1335 posts
Bumble bee

BUMP!  Mooooore ladies…this is great!

The topic ‘40+ bees – what advice would you give to your 32 year old self?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors