(Closed) 40 pounds need to come off! I need some advice!

posted 9 years ago in Fitness
Post # 17
2226 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

View original reply
@An Alaskan Bride: That’s not realistic: The OP works for 15 hours a day. When you finish a day like that, basic needs like eating and sleeping take priority! By that point there is no way you can make your body move much longer.

The only thing I could see working is fitting in a 30 minute work out durring one of your lunch hours. Also try arranging your eating schedule so you don’t eat so late (try eating dinner while job #3?)

I also get the feeling that because your schedule is so packed, you probably don’t cook a lot of the things you eat. Try making several big meals on the weekend/your days off to get you through the week. You can pack them in tupperwares or freeze them for later in the week.

I know it’s probably not an option right now but working this much is not a really sustainable lifestyle.  Longterm, you’re going to need to find a financial balance (reduce expenses so you can work more reasonable of hours) so you can fit in the time and have the motivation to be healthy.

Post # 18
3175 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I am sure there will be a lot of people here who will disagree with me, but I lost a ton of weight without even thinking much about it on a low carb/paleo diet. Essentially, you cut modern foods from your diet and eat how our ancestors ate (you know, before we had weight problems like we do today). I ate as much as I wanted and lost 20 lbs in less than 2 months. I felt great, slept better, had way more energy and was a happier person (no joke!). I tend to be logic driven, and the lifestyle (I won’t call it a diet) made the most sense from an anthropological and biological standpoint to me.

The details: I cut industrialized vegetable oils (canola oil, soybean oil, etc), all grains (wheat, corn, etc), white potatoes and sugar. This sounds like it would be hard to do, but when you are trading them for ribeyes and roasted broccoli and as much cream in your coffee as your little heart desires it is freeing! At the beginning, I tracked my carb intake and tried to keep it below 30 net carbs, just to see what a low carb day would “look like”. After that, I just winged it. After a few days, I realized my body learned to feel satiated, a feeling I hadn’t felt in years eating potatoes and wheat! It felt awesome!

This was about a year ago, and after I lost the 20 pounds, I went to a more moderate approach. I now eat a lot more carbs (sweet potatoes, root veggies, honey, fruit) and occasionally will have a bun on my burger or a dessert. I try to follow a moderate approach to the lifestyle. I have actually lost a few more pounds without trying.

I love the way I eat! It is so delicious and satisfying. I wish I could tell everyone about it. When my fiancee and I moved in together in August, he started eating that way out of convenience, and he lost almost 40 pounds! He was really “fat” to begin with, just a little stocky (he is 6’4″ though), but he feels great. Everyone acts like I am depriving him because we don’t eat bread. He always responds “How could I feel deprived when I’m eating pot roast smothered in horseraddish sauce with a side of roasted sweet potato fries and a glass of red wine??”.

You should watch “Fat Head” if you’re worried about the low carb approach and health. It’s available for free on Hulu.

Post # 19
2226 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

View original reply
@les105: I think Paleo/ low sugar diets make a lot of sense. It had never occured to me until I watched that Dr Oz special on it: I pretty much eat an adapted version of this. Oz showed what he would normally eat and what paleo was suggesting. His point was that a high proteine & saturated fat diet was not realistic/healthy but all I could think while watching was that Dr Oz ate like a manorexic.

I agree, it’s not as hard as it seems once you get used to it. I usually eat plain greek yogurt (with chopped fruits & nuts in it) or eggs for breakfast, pack leftovers for lunch or a tuna salad and then dinner is a nice hunk of meat with lots of delicious vegetables. Snacks are all fruits and veggies. It’s not such a depressing way to eat.

The topic ‘40 pounds need to come off! I need some advice!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors