(Closed) 40 Something Roll Call

posted 7 years ago in 40 Something
Post # 3
6 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: January 2013

@tksjewelry: 1. The 80s to me will always, always be New Order’s Blue Monday.

2. I loved the fact MTV showed you the artists, and you didn’t have to wait to see some skeevy late-night show with bad lighting and sound.

3. Culture Club is my guilty pleasure…I know you missed me…I know you missed me blind….

Post # 4
572 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Ahhh the 80s! Always has been, always will be the BEST of times!!

1. What song or band epitimizes the 80’s for you? Def Leppard: Pour Some Sugar on Me!
  2. What was your favorite thing about MTV? (You know, when they actually played music videos)  That they actually played videos~
  3. Who is the big music act that you say now “What were we thinking to listen to that and love it?” New Kids on the Block…. bwahahahahah!

Post # 5
1398 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

John Cougar-before he tacked Mellencamp on to his stage name. Jack & Diane, Little Pink Houses, and Hurts So Good,

The whole Footloose Soundtrack, if I hear any of those songs now, it transports me back to our school trips and those songs being played on a boombox the size of a window air conditioner.

And most of all Bruce Springsteen WOOHOO!! Born in the USA. When I was a college freshman, I waited in line for 3 days-SERIOUSLY 3 DAYS for tickets to his concert. For no one else, would I sleep on a campus sidewalk in a sleeping bag, unbathed for 3 days for the chance to listen to him, from a 100 feet away.

I also loved Hall and Oates. I’ve seen them in concert over the years 4 times. I saw them when they had a full cast pyrotechnic concert back in 1984, to a few years ago, when it was just the two of them with their guitars on a small stage. I gotta say, they still got it. “Rich Girl” and “Sarah Smile” always have me turning up the radio.

Post # 6
1160 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

1. What song or band epitimizes the 80’s for you? PRINCE -Purple Rain
  2. What was your favorite thing about MTV? (You know, when they actually played music videos) I wasn’t allowed to watch it. (The Canadian version we had)
  3. Who is the big music act that you say now “What were we thinking to listen to that and love it?” Debarge. ROFLMAO!

Post # 7
572 posts
Busy bee

@SandyDollHair:  OMgosh Yes, Prince.. I cant begin to count how many times I would replay the cassette that I recorded while the radio was playing.. ” and I keep wondering whose holdin’ Donna now..??”    LMFAO!

Post # 8
1553 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

1. What song or band epitimizes the 80’s for you? ANYTHING Journey. Even the songs from the late 70s were still played a lot in the 1980s.
  2. What was your favorite thing about MTV? (You know, when they actually played music videos) Just getting it at all!  We did not get it until 1985, just in time to watch Live Aid.
  3. Who is the big music act that you say now “What were we thinking to listen to that and love it?” Umm…none?  I still love the same stuff I loved then.  

Post # 9
1553 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

@SandyThePoet: Ditto on the Hall and Oates. And while cleaning out our garage the other day, my husband found a prized possession of mine from the 1980s.  A HUGE boombox with dual casette players.  That’s right, I could both record straight from the radio (instead of holding a cassette player in front of the radio to record it) AND I could copy casette tapes.  That was my seventeenth birthday present from my parents…and it came from Montgomery Ward!

Post # 10
1077 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

(I’m cheating by two years to play).

1.  The epitome of 80’s band:  Survivor.  2nd runner up:  REO Speedwagon

2.  Favorite thing about MTV:  My town didn’t get it until the late 90’s.  But when I did see it, I’ll say Dweezil Zappa and the video for Nobody’s Fool by Cinderella

3.  Biggest 80’s WTF:  Richard Marx.  Non-musical:  Big permed or feathered hair, especially on men.

4.  One you didn’t ask:  Favorite 80’s style icon:  Lisa Bonet as Denise Huxtable.  I wanted every outfit she ever wore.

@tksjewelry:  Did you ever wear one glove or have the red pleather jacket?  I think I narrowly missed that but probably wanted one.

Post # 11
572 posts
Busy bee

Ya’ll remember parachute pants???  I had a red pair.. and I was sooo stinkin happy with myself that the were a 24″ waist. I wore them babies til the ass fell off!

Post # 12
699 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@Miss2BMrs: I went to see Culture Club play on one of their early tours of the US (maybe 1984 or so?) and remember girls throwing panties at the stage at Boy George… What were they thinking? 😀

Post # 13
217 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

1.  The epitome of 80’s band:  Bon Jovi.  “She’s a little ru-u-u-u-unnaway”!

2.  Favorite thing about MTV:  Seeing music videos evlove from bands standing in front of a camera performing a song into a mini-movie!  

3.  What were we thinking??:  Wearing roach clips with feathers in our hair!  “No mom, it’s just a decoration!”  bwa-ha-ha!!

Post # 14
1636 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

What song or band epitimizes the 80’s for you?

Sister Christian!!!!!  duh!

What was your favorite thing about MTV? (You know, when they actually played music videos)  

Sister Christian Video, Journey Video or Bon Jovi video

Who is the big music act that you say now “What were we thinking to listen to that and love it?”

What are words for – Missing persons! LOL  love that video! 

Thanks for the thread! 🙂

Post # 15
1636 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I would like to change the song choice to

“come on eileen”  LOL  I heard that on hte radio today and i was like…. I gotta change that!!!! 🙂 

so thank you!

Post # 16
10 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2012

1. What song or band epitimizes the 80’s for you? Reo Speedwagon / Journey
  2. What was your favorite thing about MTV? (You know, when they actually played music videos)  Our town didn’t have cable but my parents had a satelite dish (not one of the those tiny ‘dish tv’ ones, but the one that looked like a flying saucer had landed next to our house) so I was the only one in our group that had access to MTV.
  3. Who is the big music act that you say now “What were we thinking to listen to that and love it?” Loverboy (which was my first concert, embarrasingly enough!)

The topic ‘40 Something Roll Call’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors