Post # 1
Three new questions for getting to know the 40 Somethings – Movies last time, how about some Music
- What song or band epitimizes the 80’s for you? Duran Duran -The Reflex
- What was your favorite thing about MTV? (You know, when they actually played music videos) Gotta be the VJs *Mark Goodman*Alan Hunter*Nina Blackwood, still the best VJs ever
- Who is the big music act that you say now “What were we thinking to listen to that and love it?” Micheal Jackson, I seriously still have my 4 inch round pin from my jean jacket. What was I thinking? lol
Post # 3
@tksjewelry: 1. The 80s to me will always, always be New Order’s Blue Monday.
2. I loved the fact MTV showed you the artists, and you didn’t have to wait to see some skeevy late-night show with bad lighting and sound.
3. Culture Club is my guilty pleasure…I know you missed me…I know you missed me blind….
Post # 4
Ahhh the 80s! Always has been, always will be the BEST of times!!
- What song or band epitimizes the 80’s for you? Def Leppard: Pour Some Sugar on Me!
- What was your favorite thing about MTV? (You know, when they actually played music videos) That they actually played videos~
- Who is the big music act that you say now “What were we thinking to listen to that and love it?” New Kids on the Block…. bwahahahahah!
Post # 5
John Cougar-before he tacked Mellencamp on to his stage name. Jack & Diane, Little Pink Houses, and Hurts So Good,
The whole Footloose Soundtrack, if I hear any of those songs now, it transports me back to our school trips and those songs being played on a boombox the size of a window air conditioner.
And most of all Bruce Springsteen WOOHOO!! Born in the USA. When I was a college freshman, I waited in line for 3 days-SERIOUSLY 3 DAYS for tickets to his concert. For no one else, would I sleep on a campus sidewalk in a sleeping bag, unbathed for 3 days for the chance to listen to him, from a 100 feet away.
I also loved Hall and Oates. I’ve seen them in concert over the years 4 times. I saw them when they had a full cast pyrotechnic concert back in 1984, to a few years ago, when it was just the two of them with their guitars on a small stage. I gotta say, they still got it. “Rich Girl” and “Sarah Smile” always have me turning up the radio.
Post # 7
@SandyDollHair: OMgosh Yes, Prince.. I cant begin to count how many times I would replay the cassette that I recorded while the radio was playing.. ” and I keep wondering whose holdin’ Donna now..??” LMFAO!
Post # 9
@SandyThePoet: Ditto on the Hall and Oates. And while cleaning out our garage the other day, my husband found a prized possession of mine from the 1980s. A HUGE boombox with dual casette players. That’s right, I could both record straight from the radio (instead of holding a cassette player in front of the radio to record it) AND I could copy casette tapes. That was my seventeenth birthday present from my parents…and it came from Montgomery Ward!
Post # 10
(I’m cheating by two years to play).
1. The epitome of 80’s band: Survivor. 2nd runner up: REO Speedwagon
2. Favorite thing about MTV: My town didn’t get it until the late 90’s. But when I did see it, I’ll say Dweezil Zappa and the video for Nobody’s Fool by Cinderella
3. Biggest 80’s WTF: Richard Marx. Non-musical: Big permed or feathered hair, especially on men.
4. One you didn’t ask: Favorite 80’s style icon: Lisa Bonet as Denise Huxtable. I wanted every outfit she ever wore.
@tksjewelry: Did you ever wear one glove or have the red pleather jacket? I think I narrowly missed that but probably wanted one.
Post # 11
Ya’ll remember parachute pants??? I had a red pair.. and I was sooo stinkin happy with myself that the were a 24″ waist. I wore them babies til the ass fell off!
Post # 12
@Miss2BMrs: I went to see Culture Club play on one of their early tours of the US (maybe 1984 or so?) and remember girls throwing panties at the stage at Boy George… What were they thinking? 😀
Post # 13
1. The epitome of 80’s band: Bon Jovi. “She’s a little ru-u-u-u-unnaway”!
2. Favorite thing about MTV: Seeing music videos evlove from bands standing in front of a camera performing a song into a mini-movie!
3. What were we thinking??: Wearing roach clips with feathers in our hair! “No mom, it’s just a decoration!” bwa-ha-ha!!
Post # 14
What song or band epitimizes the 80’s for you?
Sister Christian!!!!! duh!
What was your favorite thing about MTV? (You know, when they actually played music videos)
Sister Christian Video, Journey Video or Bon Jovi video
Who is the big music act that you say now “What were we thinking to listen to that and love it?”
What are words for – Missing persons! LOL love that video!
Thanks for the thread! 🙂
Post # 15
I would like to change the song choice to
“come on eileen” LOL I heard that on hte radio today and i was like…. I gotta change that!!!! 🙂
so thank you!