(Closed) 40+ Wedding Dress

posted 7 years ago in 40 Something
Post # 3
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

On my wedding day, I was 56 and my wife was 41.  Nevertheless, both of us wore ivory wedding dresses, veils, and opera gloves.  What is “appropriate” is what makes you feel beautiful.

Post # 4
4824 posts
Honey bee

I agree, that you want to wear something that makes you feel beautiful.

If you are worried about “approriate” look for something that has the detail and is elaborate, but maybe with wider straps?

What kind of detail and elaborate dresses did you like? bead? lace? pickups? Maybe we can find a great compromise?

Post # 5
33 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: February 2011

Wear what makes you feel like a bride, since that’s what you will be! You’ll be gorgeous no matter what dress you’re in, so just make sure you feel good in it.

Post # 6
14495 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I will be 40 when I get married (I said that in your other thread), and I have an 18 year old son, I am wearing a sparkly ball gown.  At first, I thought like you did, and bought a much simpler gown, but when I couldn’t get the big pretty gowns out of my head the FH was the one that convinced me to get whatever I wanted.  I am so glad that he did.  The second I put on the ballgown, I just knew it was the right one for me.

This is what I will be wearing.  (it actually has crystal on it in person)

Post # 7
994 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Do what makes you happy. I know sometimes it’s hard when you are in a dressing room sandwiched between two 25 year olds (yep, just happened to me). But you know what? I’ve learned a lot since I was their age. I know who I am and what I want. Listen to your inner voice (sorry this sounds so sappy!) and you’ll find the right dress.

Post # 8
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

@blu77:  See, I had an advantage on that aspect.  Any time I went into a bridal salon, I could be assured that at least one of the brides next to me would be my own NotFroofy, so I never worried about the 25-year-olds.  😉

Post # 9
8353 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

You can wear any dress you want on your wedding day, IMO. I will be just barely 51 on our wedding day, and this is the dress I will be wearing.

Post # 11
2271 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Oh I posted mine so many times! But since you asked… I turned 50 the day after the wedding.

Post # 12
94 posts
Worker bee

I was stuck between these two

Post # 13
3142 posts
Sugar bee

I LOVEEEEEEEEE the first one on you, but are you getting it tailored a wee bit? It looks a little big on your upper half.

Both gorgeous dresses 🙂

PS: I will be 40-41 when I get married and if I am not pregnant the first one is my dress and if I am pregnant, I want something along the lines of the second dress

Post # 14
1843 posts
Buzzing bee

This is mine and I’m 40.  I think you can have whatever dress you want!

Post # 15
2100 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

A wedding is and always has been a celebration and it is not reserved for 20 somethings or first time brides or anyone.

If you look at marriage traditions for both 1st time brides and widows out of mourning in the 1800’s they were much more a joyful celebration of the occasion than a long list of rules and regulations.  Etiquette was followed but it was standard for the day.  Now matrons were not supposed to wear bright colors and look hoochy and widows out of mourning were supposed to follow that stricture but other than that some of the weird rules we have now did not exist.

OK getting of my soap box . . .

When I went wedding dress shopping I tried on more “age appropriate” dresses and none of them wowed me, my daughter or the bridal consultants.  Now I looked pretty good in many of them but I tried on over 50 dresses before I found the “one” – it is probably not age appropriate but it is me appropriate and that is what should rule your day 🙂

I have posted me in the sample 1000 times and it is snug but I have lost weight since I tried on dresses and ordered a size up from the sample . . .

Post # 16
16 posts
Newbee

I also think you should wear what makes you feel beautiful and confident. You should choose a dress you love…just don’t take it too over the top if you can’t pull it off confidently…cause you’ll hold yourself funny and you’ll be uncomfortable…but I say wear what you want…I will be 45 and here is my dress.

The topic ‘40+ Wedding Dress’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors