(Closed) 40+ Wedding Dress

posted 9 years ago in 40 Something
Post # 17
18 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I’m 44 and i love the fairytale of a wedding so i picked a cotoure low waisted ballgown with a sweetheart neckline.  I wish i had a picture to post, but im still waiting on it to come.  My friends told me not to get the diamond white becaues it was too white, but i wanted it and so i ordered it. Go for what looks good to you and good luck

Post # 18
325 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I will be 40 when I get married and I am going to marry whatever I feel beautiful in. Really. I don’t care much for ensuring that it looks “my age” or anything. I just want to feel like the most beautiful woman alive for that one single day 🙂

Post # 19
4411 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2010 - Savannah, GA

I think rather than worrying about whether a dress is age appropriate, think about whether the dress is ceremony appropriate. What is the feeling you want at your ceremony? 

Like others have said. Wear the dress that makes you feel beautiful.  Wedding dresses by definition are more elaborate than everyday wear, so I don’t think there is such a thing as ‘age appropriate’ when it comes to wedding dresses. 

Post # 20
25 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I’m 42 and getting married (second marriage) next week on April 16, 2011 on Lido Beach.  I definately wanted THE dress for my wedding as I am certainly marrying the man of my dreams.  I wanted to dream dress to go with it!!!  I’m wearing Maggie Sottero Ambrosia with a cathedral length beaded veil.

Wear what YOU want to wear!!  It’s your day!  ;-D  Here are some pics… I’ll post more after the wedding.

Post # 21
1690 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

when i get married next May i wil be 51.  and i will be wearing this dress….just because i will be 51, doesnt mean i dont want to look good for my man,  and feel like a princess inside. 

Post # 22
1701 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

View original reply
@anne B:I drool over your dress every time I see it!

Post # 23
54 posts
Worker bee

Well Bees, I was going to comment on a photo one of you posted, but as I scrolled down and read further, I’m finding it impossible not to comment on all of these beautiful gowns!!

I agree that what is most important is how you feel in the dress. And to respond to the original post, I swear that each person had a different opinion!!!!  So now I’m just overwhelmed. Do you feel beautiful? Comfortable? Special? Then stick to your instinct and listen to what You want.

Here’s mine, BTW!!  

Post # 24
1690 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
@Georgia Bee:

thank you soooooo much.  it arrived today!  but i havent had the chance to try it on.  well i have tried the top on and the skirt,  but couldnt do the corset back up.  🙁

Post # 25
1083 posts
Bumble bee

Wear what makes you feel beautiful! Laughing I was 41 at the time of my wedding. 

Post # 27
1077 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Not quite 40 here, but not far off.  Not doing something “too young” was a concern for me.

I wanted something that made me feel like a grown up in an evening dress…not to flouncy…partly b/c that’s my taste, and partly because I think that when something crosses an age-appropriate line, it actually ages me.  I know the right answer is “whatever you like”, but what I actually feel pretty in isn’t the same anymore as what I like on younger girls.

Post # 28
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2011

You 40+ ladies look fabulous in your dress choices!  Rock on!

Post # 29
3135 posts
Sugar bee

View original reply
@Melini:

Beautiful!

Post # 30
189 posts
Blushing bee

I don’t yet but I like the two dresses now. Its so hard if I was young it would be easy..but I will be almost 42 I am 40 now going on 41 soon.. Bought the sabelle my honey hated it.

I know the right answer is “whatever you like”, But I want to feel  

elegant and age appropriateLaughing
wedding allure 8769 8769FI found a dress my honey likes finaly yea!!!!!!!!!

allure 8769

wedding allure 8769 8769Bwedding allure 8769 Dress Two 015

wedding allure 8769 Dress Two 014

next weekend I will have photos of me in the last two photos.Laughing

Post # 31
74 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I’m 46 and have been obsessing about what dress to pick. I always thought that you had to wear an ivory suit for a second wedding (yuck!), but now I’ve seen that you can wear anything! 

I personally still would not want to wear pure white. And to me, chiffon (though I love the fabric) feels too much like a nightgown. I’m a no-makeup, jeans and t-shirt kind of woman, so anything with lots of lace or sparkle or ruffle just felt like a costume, and I want to feel comfortable. My fiance’s only request was that I wear something off-the-shoulder.

Here is the dress I keep coming back to, and which I am going to order today, in ivory. In lieu of the rhinestone brooch, I’m going to sew on a collection of vintage ivory buttons. I’m ridiculously happy that it’s got pockets. I also love that it’s silk shantung (not polyester) and that it’s made in the USA.

aria dress

The topic ‘40+ Wedding Dress’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors