(Closed) 40 weeks = a long time!

posted 7 years ago in Pregnancy
  • poll: How many weeks were you when you delivered?
    35 or less : (1 votes)
    9 %
    36 : (0 votes)
    37 : (0 votes)
    38 : (1 votes)
    9 %
    39 : (3 votes)
    27 %
    40 : (3 votes)
    27 %
    41 : (1 votes)
    9 %
    42 + : (2 votes)
    18 %
  • Post # 3
    1474 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2011 - Bent Creek Winery (Livermore, California); Reception: Family Residence (San Ramon, California)

40 weeks is actually 9 months, not 10. We use 4 weeks = 1 month as a sort of quick reference, but only one month (February) is actually 4 weeks. All the other months are longer, and all those extra days add up over time so that 40 weeks does, in fact, equal 9 months.

Post # 4
    46653 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

40 weeks would be 10 months if each month had 28 days or 4 weeks. All months except February have 30 or 31 days, so it really is 9 months.

Post # 5
    1317 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

Also, they count pregnancy as the start of your last menstral period, you’re considered 2 weeks pregnant before you’ve even conceived. So 40 weeks is really 38 weeks gestational age.

Post # 6
    1613 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

Yes, 40 weeks is actually 9 months.   Look at it this way….there are 52 weeks in a year.  52-40= 12.  12 weeks/4 weeks = 3 months.  12 months – 3 months = 9 months πŸ™‚ 

Post # 8
    9029 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

like pp stated the 40 weeks is counted from the first day of your last period, so you arent actually pregnant for the first 2 weeks out of the forty weeks. The 40 weeks is just a rough idea of when you should be due since very few people know the exact day they conceived.

Post # 9
    3968 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

I am not expecting, but *I* was delivered at 32 weeks πŸ™‚

Post # 10
    2522 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

If I can get pregnant, our kids will likely be early (my Fiance’s family has ginormous babies including him and they’re all early) and my Mom didn’t go past 40 weeks with her children.

Post # 12
    1315 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

@anotherbee: Don’t freak about baby size. Darling Husband was a ten pounder, and his mum says he was the easiest of the 6, the hardest being the smallest who had some health issues. My two nephews were ten pounders as well, and my SIL says while labour wasn’t easy, life was a lot easier soon after as they were both so sturdy and solid. I’m carrying twins and they average 5.5 pounds, so I’m v unlikely to have large babies. Although I’d probably need an extension on my belly if they get v big!

Post # 13
    6830 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

I had my son at end of 32 weeks/beginning at 33 weeks. He wanted out and he wanted out now..

Post # 14
    2522 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

@anotherbee: Lol, it’s surprising my Fiance isn’t that tall and neither are his sisters.  But they are just really huge when they were born.  For example, my Fiance was over 6 lbs (@34 weeks?) and was a premie.  They had to put him in an incubator and according to his Dad, he looked monstrous in it.  Whereas my siblings and I were all around 7 lbs at full term.

Post # 15
    1315 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

@beekiss: Darling Husband is only 5’7”, so his birth weight didn’t mean a whole lot in that respect anyway!

The topic ‘40 weeks = a long time!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors