40 weeks and cramping- a good sign?

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
2192 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Oh yes this can most certainly be signs of labor! They won’t always start out super painful at first… keep track of them. It will probably go into your back as well. Time them when they start to harden your stomach if that makes sense.

Please keep us posted!! Good Luck!

Post # 4
5977 posts
Bee Keeper

My SIL started with mild cramping in the early morning the day she gave birth to my niece. She said she basically felt like she had to go to the bathroom for most of the day. Later that night, she gave birth! Hopefully this is it for you :o) 

Post # 5
2192 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

Found this under the heading “signs of labor” and it sounds like what you are describing!

You note more Braxton Hicks contractions.
More frequent and intense Braxton Hicks contractions can signal pre-labor, during which your cervix ripens (see below) and the stage is set for true labor. Some women experience a crampy, menstrual-like feeling during this time.

Post # 6
2095 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

That is completely normal. Think of it this way. If it started off with terrible pain we would all be screaming for drugs within an hour. It starts off slow and gradually gets worse. When I had my son (premature birth) I thought it was bad gas pains. It wasn’t until they hooked me up to monitors I finally beleived it was labor and not just gas…lol.

Post # 8
817 posts
Busy bee

Yes definitely a good sign! My doctor told me that cramping means that your cervix is dilating.

I experienced mild cramping throughout those last weeks and the doctor was like, “Good!! GREAT!” about it. Then when I actually went into labor, it was those cramps. They gradually got stronger and I was experiencing about 10 waves an hour.

If they go away or ease when you get up and move around, it’s just braxton hicks (although those are good ‘practice’ too). But being that you’re overdue I’m sure it’s labor!!!

And take my advice…don’t go in to the hospital until you have to stop eVERYTHING to get through the contraction (of course unless they tell you to go in). I was sent home because I wasn’t dilating fast enough and that SUCKED because I got home and within a half hour they were REALLY bad/painful so if I had just waited like 45 more minutes to begin with I would have been able to stay.

Post # 9
817 posts
Busy bee

I also wanted to add quick that the evening before I went into labor, the little guy was SUPER agitated. I could tell something was happening…he seemed MAD to be in my belly any longer.

Post # 10
2548 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Yep thats what I experienced the morning of labour. Just mild cramping here and there for a few hours, until the contractions really hit. Goodluck!!!!

Post # 11
5498 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I haven’t been in labor before, but I just wanted to say Good Luck! Keep us updated on what the Doctor has to say!

Post # 12
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

Good luck, I hope this means labor for you!

I had cramping on and off the last few weeks of pregnancy.  It always went away, though, so I didn’t think much of it.  The morning I had Addie, I felt cramping in the shower, but I figured it was just false labor again.  I felt it all morning, but didn’t actually know I was in labor until my water broke!  Definitely, the cramping was early contractions, though.

Post # 14
681 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

despite what your doctors say, sounds like it to me!

similar thing happened to me, i was having mild cramps on and off for about 24 hours (along with just feeling kind of yucky and tired), went into the doctors office and they did a non stress test and determined that they were not contractions. they sent me home and told me to drink lots of fluids and rest, that i was probably somewhat dehydrated. my water broke later that night!

hope you’re feeling well…and good luck!

Post # 15
567 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010 - MacLean Park

I hate to be depressing, but I’m due tomorrow and I’ve been cramping and having painful BH for weeks now. Still no labor 🙁 I even got my membranes stripped, which induced more cramping and contractions, but no labor yet. Here’s hoping yours starts soon!

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors