40 weeks- cervix closed

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
276 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Congratulations! I’ve heard many stories of women whose cervixs went from locked up to wide open in a matter of hours. I was at 2cm by 39 weeks and my OB was quick to remind me that it really meant nothing. Went into labour on the night of my due date and had my daughter early the next morning.

Post # 3
4258 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: February 2009

do not stress.  My cervix went from nothing to 9cm in 3 hours with my first baby.  I literally started pushing on the toilet because no one thought I was anywhere close to having a baby, lol.  I would have lots of sex and use evening primose to help soften it.  But really, don’t worry.  My second, I was walking around 6cm dialted for a week!!!  And did not give birth until 41w 4 days… 

Post # 4
6814 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011 - Boy #1 12/2015, boy #2 02/2018

amasaurusrex :  Have you been exercising? I loved using my birthing ball. I think it really helped me. I was 2 cm dilated and around 50% effaced by 36 weeks. I had my baby close to 38 weeks though.

Post # 5
900 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

With my first baby, I was not dilated at all at my 40 week appt.  Went into labor 40wk5d with zero medical intervention.  My second baby I refused to be checked so I’m not really sure if I was dilated.  It is normal to not be dilated at all until labor and doesn’t really mean much either way even if you are.

Post # 7
352 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I was 1cm dialated at 39 weeks and had not progressed at all at 40 weeks or at my final appointment at 41+1 andI was scheduled for an induction for 41+4.. My midwife knew I wanted to avoid an induction and I wasn’t favorable for one at all, so she recommended castor oil. I took it and contractions started within 2 hours. My water broke at home and I went to the hospital about 9 hours after taking it and was 5cm dialated. The castor oil gave me mild diarrhea, but the “recipe” I took was supposed to minimize that side effect. I would ask your Dr if she/he would support you taking it!

Post # 8
298 posts
Helper bee

I am 35 weeks pregnant with my first.  I have been seeing a chiropractor for the past month.  She has recommended that I squat as low as possible (almost but touching the floor) every day for 5-10 minutes.  She said this will help the babys head begin to press on the cervix and start to thin it out and make it favorable for labor.  I haven’t had any cervical checks yet as it is still too early for me but thought I would pass the info along.  I have only been squatting about every other day as it can be kind of uncomfortable and difficult for me to get back up.  Good luck sending you positive vibes!

Post # 9
1041 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

amasaurusrex :  My cervix was closed at my 40 week check up. My water broke at 40w 6d and I never did dilate. Ended up with a c-section. Same as you I went for crazy long walks, bounced on a ball, are spicy food, tons of sex. Nothing made a difference!

Post # 10
2123 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014 - DD born 2015 DS born 2017

I dilated late and went 9 days overdue with a long stalled labour because my baby was sunny side up and her head wasn’t putting pressure on my cervix. Do you remember if your baby’s face was facing the ‘camera’ in the last scan? If it was there are certain exercises you can try to turn baby round which I wish I’d known at the time. 

Post # 11
168 posts
Blushing bee

amasaurusrex :  I was 2 weeks overdue and nothing was happening and my doc decided to schedule a section.  He told me inducing was a possibility, but it wasn’t guaranteed to work and could end up putting stress on me and the baby so we forgoed that idea.  I never dialated, water never broke, nada. :/

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors