(Closed) $400 for gown alterations???

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
1269 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

I think it depends on your location and where you go. I went to a mini chain store and paid close to $250-300 for hemming, taking in the sides by my hips, and like a 5 point bustle.  Oh and I think they tightened the chest area.  My dress was just under 1k to begin with.

Post # 4
235 posts
Helper bee

Kleinfeld’s is charding me a flat rate of $600

Post # 5
6830 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

That is pretty normal.  Normal range for alterations depending on what you have done can be from 200-500. 

Post # 6
3261 posts
Sugar bee

Its normal. My bridal salon has an alterations “menu” and for $500 you get a few things that you wont get for $300. Not to mention I’m being charged $400 (not including extra fabric) to add sleeves.. so my $2,400 dress is going to cost me towards the higher end of 3k.

Post # 7
7295 posts
Busy Beekeeper

mine were $650. i was flabbergasted, shocked, everything, but i paid it.  i now use it as a selling point in my ads to sell the dress. i write that the gown is now more valuable to someone with my measurements than before it was altered because they won’t have to go bankrupt paying for alterations.  and well, i mean it!  all the more reason to look for a used gown.  even paying $800 for a used gown that cost $1100 new is worth it because you could save several more hundred in alterations!

Post # 8
9029 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

It also depends on the fabric and style of the dress, some fabrics like lace are trickier to work with than others especially if there is beading

Post # 9
43 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2011

My bridal salon charges a $350 flat fee.  I thought that was too much so I went to a seamstress who works from her home and she’s charging me $200.  I am getting the sides taken in a bit and getting my dress hemmed (the bottom half of my dress has ruffles).

Post # 10
3572 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I paid $450 to add a bustle, a belt, little cap sleeves, and to have it hemmed and taken in.  This was in NYC

Post # 11
834 posts
Busy bee

I only paid $230 for a modesty panel, french bustle, and a hem. The dress has lace covering it from neck to toe. I wouldn’t pay $400 for alterations.

Post # 12
1090 posts
Bumble bee

do not do the alterations at the bridal salon. they will rape u.

I was quoted 395.00 from salon and got them done at a local seamstress for less than 50.00$

I had a bustle added, changed neckline to a sweetheart, cut down modesty panel, steamed, and a few tucks here and there.

Post # 13
119 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Sounds about right – I got my dress at Saks and they charge a flat fee of $450. But you could try a local seamstress, that may be less expensive – just make sure she’s actually DONE bridal alterations before, because it’s much more extensive than the usual “take seam up” sorts of things that are common in those shops. Good luck!

Post # 14
114 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

yep — that is just about right…  i have $400 budgeted for mine and am keeping my fingers crossed.  

Post # 15
172 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

mine were just under $400. I had a hem, taking in the sides of the skirt, pockets, taking in the bust a little, taking in the strap that holds the dress up, changing the straps from halter to cross back, and a 7 point under bustle.  

Post # 16
654 posts
Busy bee

I went to a local seamstress that I trust b/c not just anyone is getting their hands on my dress.  I’m being charged $550.  This is to hem it, take it in majorly at the sides and bust and put in a bustle.  Is it expensive?  Absolutely.  But i think it’s worth it for my piece of mind.

The topic ‘$400 for gown alterations???’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors