(Closed) $400 rent increase? You must be joking.

posted 8 years ago in Home
Post # 17
979 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@Mrs. Gremmlin:  I feel you, we just got a 300.00 rent increase (bringing our rent up to 2700/month :/ ) 

Where we lived before there was a max % you could raise rent to an existing tenant, but apparently in this province, that’s not the case. 

Ah well time to start house shopping I guess.

Post # 18
533 posts
Busy bee

Certainly you need at least 30 days notice of a rate increase?

Regardless, the unfortunate reality is that your landlords will most likely have no problem renting this place, even at the higher rate, if you leave. You’re just not afforded a lot of bargaining power when the property is in a great location. Even in a pinch, someone else will take it at what you’re paying now if it’s at value.

Rentals really will turn you into a stickler for a papertrail and signatures on everything with a dollar amount on it. It ain’t pretty, but if you don’t play you get played.

Post # 19
Hostess
4996 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

That’s crazy! It’s really unprofessional for them not to tell you that ahead of time. 

Post # 21
406 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@Mrs. Gremmlin:  I agree va law definetely favors the landlord you get no chance there I also agree I would move on principle if I could afford which you said you could good for you guys.

Post # 22
1072 posts
Bumble bee

Is there a possibility that they WANT you to move?  They must know what market value actually is.

Post # 23
9985 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Eek.  Though depending on where you are in NoVA, 2k isn’t ridiculous.  I just moved from a 775 sq foot 1 bed, 1 bath apartment where I paid $2100 a month.  BUT, if the 2k price is abnormal for that area, then definitely just move and not deal with these landloards anymore!  

Post # 24
157 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I think that is crazy. We have been renting a single family home, 3 bed, 2 1/2 bath, nice fenced yard for 3 years, no increase in rent. Now that we are moving out we expected the landlord to raise the rent. We see what other houses in the neighborhood are renting for, and our landlord could totally get way more money than what we are paying. He is only increasing rent by $50! He could get at least $200 more. Either way, I know Nova is expensive, but that is a huge leap in price. I would look for a new place!

Post # 25
2831 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@futuremrste:  Exactly.  Here in MI there are laws about how much you can raise rent how often, with what notice, and what you need to justify it. 

Post # 26
7380 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2011

@crocodile:  There’s no rent control here either.  It’s not Canada wide.

Our rent was going up $200, plus parking and laundry went up.  A number of illegal things were done in the past year.  We ended up paying 1/2 a month of the higher rent and bought a house a little earlier than we would have had our rent not gone up so much with the stupid things the management was doing.

Post # 27
542 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

This happens in Boston ALL THE TIME. Landlords raise rents by crazy amounts and the former tenants have no choice but to leave. My sister rents apartments and constantly gets calls from poeple who are freaking out because their landlord just informed them they are raising their rent by $600 or more within a month or two. Then they end up moving into crappy apartments because they’re rushed and/or there’s nothing good (and affordable) left.

We found a landlord who put IN OUR LEASE that he won’t raise our rent by more than $75 a year. Not only is it great peace of mind, but it shows us that he really cares about the QUALITY of his tenants, not just the money. I’d say screw this guy and find somewhere else.

Post # 29
2721 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I think your landlord was dumb to not do some reasearch to find out what similar properties in the area are renting for.  They got greedy and will be losing out when you move.

Post # 30
881 posts
Busy bee

I would definitely check into the tenant/landlord laws for your state. In Ontario for example, a landlord must give at least 90 days notice of an increase in rent. So them telling you a few weeks before would be illegal here, whether it’s a house, condo, whatever kind of dwelling where you are renting. That is a crazy amount. 

Post # 31
1332 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@Mrs. Gremmlin:  damn, idk where you live in NOVA, but we pay a little over 2k for a 1 bedroom/1 bath.  that being said, a $400 increase is crazy

The topic ‘$400 rent increase? You must be joking.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors