(Closed) 401k – advice on funds to invest in

posted 7 years ago in Money
Post # 3
5148 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Do you have the option for any “lifecycle funds”? That’s what I always do.

Post # 5
14403 posts
Honey Beekeeper

I have fidelity, and I was just totally random about it.  I picked a whole bunch in each category.  I have like 10 different funds!  haha, diverisfy!  I checked out the ratings, went for 4-5 star and picked a small cap growth, small cap value, large cap growth, value, etc.  Its all a crap shoot anyways in this market..

Post # 8
14403 posts
Honey Beekeeper

Whats the exact wording?  That would be incredibly generous and totally awesome if they matched 8% to your 3%.  The best I’ve ever seen is a 100% match – you put in 3%, they put in 3%.  Most other places I’ve seen match 50% up to like 6%.

Post # 10
5148 posts
Bee Keeper

@luli29 – Wow, that is awesome your company does that! Best I’ve ever seen has been 100% up to a certain amount (you put in 3%, company matches 3%; but if you put in 5% they still only match 3%).

Post # 12
14403 posts
Honey Beekeeper

@luli29: holy crap.  that is amazing!  that is the best employer contribution i’ve ever heard of!

Post # 13
3375 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Sheesh I want your employer contribution. My employer gives me 4% and I’m currently putting in 10%.

My 401k is pretty aggressive, but I’m young. It will get more conservative as I get older.

Post # 14
75 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

My 401k program actually has a projected retirement date fund, i.e they will invest more aggressive now that I am young, but as it gets closer to actual retirement, the funds are invested more conservatively. Maybe see if that is an option for you.

Post # 16
132 posts
Blushing bee

How you should invest it really depends on how old you are.  If you are young, you should invest it more agressively, i.e. in riskier investments because the potential earnings are greater and if you lose you still have time to earn it back.  As you age, you should go with something more conservative so that you don’t lose it all right before you retire.  Some plans offer an investment that will automatically adjust as you near retirement.  Others, you have to keep track of it yourself. 

A 403(b) is basically the same as a 401(k), but for employees of tax-exempt organizations.  I think some of the laws governing them are different, but it’s the same basic concept. 

I know you said you already submitted your paperwork, but I figured this information might be useful anyway.  I used to work with 401(k) and other retirement plans, so I know a little about it. 🙂

The topic ‘401k – advice on funds to invest in’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors