(Closed) 45% of guest list is OOTers

posted 10 years ago in Logistics
Post # 17
3930 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

i don’t have a ton of advice, but i’m in a somewhat similar situation, so i wanted to tell you what we are doing:

we are hoping for 120.  right now, we have 165 on our guest list.  of these, 45% are out of state or out of the country.  that being said, everyone on our list is technically “out of town”, since the wedding is about 2 hours away, and everyone will have to get a hotel. 

i’m not sure if we will get 120 (i sure as hell hope we do!), but i’d be happy to keep you posted when we get our RSVPs back, so it can at least give you a reference point.

Post # 18
3930 posts
Honey bee

PS another thing we have done is in an excel spreadsheet, we have a list of every guest and the likelihood of their attendance.  IE.  Mom- 1 (for 100%), Great Uncle Milo from Israel- .25 (for 25%).  when you do a count of the whole list, it gives you the number you THINK will actually come.  still guess work, of course, but hopefully a little more accurate.

Post # 20
1316 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I may be in the minority here but I don’t like the idea of sending out two rounds of invitations.  It seems rude and thoughtless – and even if you take pains to make sure that the second group never finds out they were the ‘B group’, there is a good chance it will get out and feelings will be hurt.  

We had a wedding with about 90% of our guests being from Out of Town from all across the country and three different continents.   We invited 212 and had 146 attend, which is about what we expected.  

What I would do now is start having casual chats with people to see if they are likely to travel to the wedding.  Go through your guest list, you should be able to figure out who is likely to attend and who isn’t.  Obviously there will be some surprises but for the most part, you should be able to figure out if people are going to be willing/able to travel for your wedding.  

I’d invite everyone you want to be there.  If you end up with a few more than planned, cut money from other unnecessary items; if you end up with a smaller number, then even better!  How many extra people are you looking at inviting?  

Post # 21
311 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Sounds exactly like my wedding, same date and everything. We are sending out the invitations within the next couple weeks becausewe know people will want info ASAP if they will be making the trip. Our RSVP date is May 1 and we have a “B” list that’ll be invited depending on how many say they will/won’t come.

Post # 24
311 posts
Helper bee

Yes, we are looking for ways to lighten spending, and we decided early invites in lieu of STDs would help in that department. And then we will have plenty of time to invite people we wanted to invite, but couldn’t at first. At Christmas my fiance’s family was already talking about how they are making a week trip out of it so they can see D.C. and I have friends asking where I am blocking hotel rooms. I know there will be stragglers, but we figure we can get a preliminary head count this way. I know I am out of the norm, so don’t fret if you’re worried you’re doing it wrong. You’re not, I am. haha

Post # 25
3930 posts
Honey bee

@Nellular:  your RSVP date is over 5 months before your wedding??

Post # 27
311 posts
Helper bee

@Mrs. Meowerson:  yes, since most people are out of town, we figure they will know early on whether they will make it or not.

Post # 28
5592 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

Did you do a save the date at all?  We invited 146 people, and ended up with 82 on the day since so many lived all the way across the country.  The save the date was great in that you could just get a bit of a feel if somebody was for sure not coming right away, and have plenty of time to add people to the invite list.

Post # 31
150 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

We sent out STDs about 6 months out because about 30-35% of our guests would be from Out of Town (our extended families). 

That being said, as soon as we set the date and booked the venue, my Mom and my Future Mother-In-Law sent out word to their siblings about the big day. (We have a 10-month engagement and started planning about 8 months out).  Some of his family booked flights as soon as the STD went out!

What I mean to say is, if lots of the OOTs are family, see if you can send feelers out.  You should be able to get a good sense.

The topic ‘45% of guest list is OOTers’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors