(Closed) $450 to sit at ceremony

posted 8 years ago in Ceremony
  • poll: What should I do about ceremony seating?

Pay for the chairs

Have a few select chairs for grandparents, etc. while others stand for short ceremony

Change ceremony location

Other - I'll explain

• Post # 77
    2807 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

$450 can easily be worked out in a budget. our ceremony space was $1100. it would have been more for our other two ceremony location options.

pay for the chairs. i’d be pissed if i had to stand, seeing as i have back and knee problems.

Post # 78
    3694 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

@HotnHollerin:  This is always a hot topic, which you’ve seen already.  Standing for 20 minutes is akin to getting out of the shower, putting your pants on, and blowdrying your hair.  I assume you’ll have a couple chairs for the people who can’t manage that? 

We wed outdoors and did not plan to have seats for all 40 of our guests.  There were 10 chairs – for parents, grandparents, preggers, and the infirm (I have an aunt with a really bad knee).  We ended up getting chairs for everyone (at $5/each) since it was 100deg that day.  I was glad I did, but would not have felt bad to make them stand (in the grass) for the 15 minute ceremony if it were less than 85degrees.  We had a tram bring them to the site, they literally all sat down then the wedding started.  Chances are some of them who arrived early were standing around for 20 minutes before the trolley left though!

So – consider your audience, your location, and the weather.  Also haybales are prickly and expensive.  $25/ea probably and heavy as hell to haul around.  Plus then blankets to cover them – chairs and someone to move them will be cheaper and easier. 

Post # 79
    2211 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

Everyone needs a seat if you’re going to have a 20-25 minute ceremony.  I know I would not be comfortable standing still for that long and therefore wouldn’t enjoy your ceremony.  So, either rent chairs (or hay bales, benches, whatever) for everyone, or have a very short standing ceremony of no more than 10 minutes.  Gotta say, I’ve always enjoyed the latter as a guest.  😉

View original reply
    @goblue78:  If there were only 30 seats and 160 people, I would feel bad taking a seat, thinking there was someone else who needed it more than me.  I would imagine that was the case more than people not actually wanting to sit down.

Post # 80
    2562 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

Agree with PPs that you should have a seat for everybody.  If I’m in heels I probably wouldn’t want to be standing for more than 15-20 minutes or so without moving around or having the chance to sit down.  And I show up 15 minutes early for something like a wedding, so unless your ceremony is 5 minutes long have seating.

Post # 81
    286 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2014 - Glen Sanders Mansion

We are having our ceremony and reception at the same place.  They typically charge $5 per person for the ceremony (plus tax!), but since we are off season they dropped it to $3/person plus tax.  i am in the same boat, it’s going to cost about $450 just for people to sit and watch us get married for 30 minutes plus however early they arrive.  It seems like a lot, but compared to other wedding costs, it’s a drop in the bucket (unfortunately).

Post # 82
    14169 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

Yes some people stand on their feet all day for a job, but not everyone could hold a job like that. Even if they could, it’s  not the same thing as standing  in one place.

At a job,  you can usually walk around, stretch your arms and legs,  step back and forth etc.  At a ceremony, people are a lot more conscious about not being a distraction to those around them and so they try to stand relatively still.  That is very difficult for some people.  As mentioned, it’s likely people will get there early, so they will be on their feet for a lot longer and  motionless for part of that time.  It’s not considerate, IMO. 

Post # 83
    1226 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

@HotnHollerin:  I am glad you are deciding to go WITH chairs (unless you switch sites all together).

We arrived 30 min. late to our ceremony… Of course it wasn’t planned, but you never know how the day will go. It would have been just awful if our guests were standing……..

How many guests are there?

Some parks have really nice gazebos with circular seating inside.

Post # 84
    727 posts
    Busy bee

@HotnHollerin:  We had this dilemma too.  We ended up renting the chairs because we figured guests would like to sit, even though our ceremony couldn’t have taken longer than 20 minutes.  Unfortunately it ended up raining and we had our ceremony indoors and didn’t even use the expensive chairs that we rushed to set up.

If I were you, I’d suck it up and rent them. 

Post # 85
    1087 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

I once stood for a 20 minute ceremony, and I hated it!!!  I would not have shown up to the ceremony if I knew it was going to be standing only.  To those who say they never heard anyone complain, it’s because I vented to my Fiance only, I would never complain to anyone else, but I was miserable.

Post # 86
    35 posts
    Newbee

@Brielle   I don’t think you can draw that conclusion as you don’t know my guests. I did. Elderly/sick/pregnant did sit. No one wore heels because we specifically told them not to. I think it’s nutso to say you HAVE to have chairs for everyone. So…no one has ever stood for 30 minutes at a time? GASP! You haven’t stood in a bar in heels for hours at a time? Just my own 2 cents. It’s YOUR wedding, do what YOU want. Make accommodations fo guests who are elderly/pregnant/sick. For some reason people think it’s acceptable to have cocktail hours where seats are not available for all guests for 1-2 hours but 30 minutes is not. 

Post # 87
    1010 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: February 2013

@HotnHollerin:  Here is an out of the box idea. Try going to a school or a church and ask if you can rent/borrow their chair’s from them. I can bet the church would go for it. Just have 2-3 people in your family/friends help arrange and pick up the chair to bring them back the next day or the same day. W/e works for them. 

Post # 88
    2196 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

Does this photo from my brother’s wedding make you guys have palpitations?  Lol.

Let’s face it, there are plenty of situations in life where you have to stand for 20-30 minutes.  I have to stand for at least 30 minutes on the train in to work because there are usually no seats when it gets to me.  Queues, waiting for public transport… any myriad of other situations.  I’m not sure why attending a wedding suddenly makes this out of the ordinary.  Obviously it’s the polite thing to have some seating available for those who need it (and if you need it, don’t be so bloody polite as to not take it! lol.  it sucks but sometimes you just have to suck it up and take the seat) but everyone’s appeared perfectly happy at all the standing-only ceremonies I’ve been to.

But I’m obviously on the losing side here 😛

Funny story… we hired movers to move all the furniture out of the room. Mum and I had gone through it when they decided to hold the ceremony at home, and stood side by side to figure out how many people we could get in the living room without losing their personal space!

Mine is going to have about five times the seating as my brother’s! lol.

The topic ‘$450 to sit at ceremony’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors