(Closed) 47 too old to be a "Princess"

posted 6 years ago in 40 Something
Post # 2
507 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2020

Honey, you are a grown woman. You have earned the right to be and feel whatever you want. A 47 year old princess?  Hell ya!  Rock it. Love it. Don’t let anyone steal your thunder. Create your own reality and celebrate your life!!!

Post # 3
507 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2020

Oh, and congrats on your engagement!!!

Post # 4
1979 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Yeah,  you’re too old to be a Princess,  but you can be a Queen ๐Ÿ™‚ .  Wear your ginormous ballgown if you want to.  It’s your wedding,  do whatever you dreamed of doing. 

Post # 5
1443 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

Hey – you wear what you want.  I will be 39, getting amrried after we’ve been togetyher 20 years.  It’s still a first marraige, but we’ve been together longer than many marraiges last, and I was worried about getting a “real” wedding dress, since we are eseentailly “eloping” at an all-inclusive in Jamaica.  BUt you know what?  It’s our wedding, and I’m gonna wear what makes me feel like a bride, because that’s what I’m going to be, and it’s what you are going to be, too.  

You have a right to be giddy, happy, and excited, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.  

Maybe the route we’re taking would be good for you, too – we picked the all-inclusive because it includes a simple wedding on the beach (location, officiant, small cake, photographer, champagne toast, simple flowers) with a 6-night stay, and was still less than the wedding we’d have had at home, even keeping th guests to about 30.  All we had to do was pick a date, reserve it and the room, and tell them what flavor cake and what color flowers we wanted.  FI is picking 3 songs to play as I “walk down the ailse” and as we sign the certificate and cut the cake.  Neither of us wanted  abig hoopla, even if we could afford it and I did not have family I don’t want just popping in.  So we get a honeymoon trip and a wedding at the same time, have them handle 90% of the planning, and come home married ๐Ÿ™‚

Congratulations!!!!

Post # 6
1354 posts
Bumble bee

I was 100% not a princess on my wedding day and I wore a wedding dress. Just be you getting married on your wedding day, and get rid of these preconceived notions of what a bride is supposed to be out of your head. 

Post # 7
3527 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

View original reply
tagerosan:  +1 on the queen ๐Ÿ™‚ And CONGRATS!! And ues you can be giddy

Post # 8
10284 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2015

View original reply
lawandbeauty53:  you’re also mature enough not to give a fig what other people think:-) congrats and do what you feel is right for you two! 

Post # 9
5641 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2009 - New York, NY

You are entitled to feel giddy all you want and feel like a princess, even better, like a queen.  You can have a wedding gown and celebrate on your day till you drop ๐Ÿ˜‰

You can have a wedding full of tasteful and elegant details without losing that romantic vibe.  Don’t limit yourself!

Post # 10
5304 posts
Bee Keeper

Congrats on your engagement!

I’m an older Bee too & Fiance and I are both divorced- so not a first wedding for either of us. I was incredibly young the first time I married and it was a fancy, formal affair that was my MIL’s dream wedding, not mine. I caved into everyone else’s demands trying to please everyone else & I remember it being very stressful & too many others calling the shots. I’m a much stronger & more outspoken person now, in general,  & Fiance and I are having fun planning our wedding, totally different experience and enjoying it so much more! I’ll wear a tiara if I feel like it :p (lol I doubt I will, but with age comes experience and you learn to care less about the judgment of others). You celebrate anyway you choose- be a princess, a queen, whatever, and have a blast ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 11
2050 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2016

I vote for being a queen!

Post # 12
465 posts
Helper bee

I say wear what you feel like wearing, whatever makes you feel special on the day.  And if that’s a ballgown, so be it!  And if it’s a simple pastel skirt and top, so be it too.  This is your wedding, no-one else’s opinion counts.  Elope if you want.  Have a wedding breakfast if you want.  Get married barefoot on the beach at dawn if you want. Wear a silver sequinned cocktail dress if you want. Who cares! What’s most important is that you feel happy in what you’re wearing when you say “I do”, and aren’t subjected to a full and formal event if you don’t want it.  Perhaps a destination wedding might be the answer as pp has suggested.  Or a courthouse wedding with a lunch afterwards.  

If you are worried, there are many gorgeous styles of wedding gown out there that don’t scream princess. I just got engaged at 46 and will probably be 49 when we get married (2nd time for both).  My gown is going to be a trumpet style, which still has lots of flair but doesn’t have the full skirt.  It makes me feel elegant but not princessy.  And we are just planning to throw a party in the house we are building (which may or may not be finished at that point lol) and have a celebrant turn up at the start of the evening.  My dream wedding setting is actually at night, in a tall space full of candles.  An added bonus is that candle-light will be a lot more flattering on my 49 year old face for the photos haha. 

Congratulations on your engagement and don’t be dictated to by other people’s opinions and expectations. Have the wedding you and your Fiance are most comfortable with.  

Post # 13
2595 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2019

View original reply
lawandbeauty53: you need to rewatch A little princess.

Post # 14
1903 posts
Buzzing bee

Don’t worry about what anyone else thinks – you are entitled to be a princess (or a queen) and enjoy this special time. You have finally found your kind and you are more than allowed to shout it from the rooftops and wear the biggest gown ever made!

The topic ‘47 too old to be a "Princess"’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors