5-6 months out for invites too early?

posted 2 months ago in Etiquette
Post # 31
327 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

weddingmaven :  Maybe it’s different in the USA then. I’m UK based and have never received an invitation only 6-8 weeks before a wedding. It’s always been 3 months or more.

If I was expecting an invitation but hadn’t received one 8 weeks before the wedding, I’d assume that I either wasn’t invited after all, or that it had got lost and ask the bride about it. If I wasn’t expecting to be invited, I’d assume I was on the ‘B’ list if I got an invitation so late.

“No venue or caterer on earth needs the information that early.” – well mine did. I’d rather give it to them when requested than tell them they’re wrong and would have to wait.

Post # 32
10853 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

secondtimer18 :  Maybe a very general estimate for the room capacity and selection, but specific, guaranteed numbers and meal choices? I find that hard to believe. 

Post # 33
2449 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2021

weddingmaven :  Why do Americans always fine it so hard to believe other people do things differently than them? lol 

Post # 34
707 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2019

Honestly OP, I don’t think it’s too early. You know your friends & family better than anyone here and they might appreciate the heads up. 

Also, I think most people know if they’re going to a wedding or not well before an invitation is sent, especially if you’re an out of town guest & received an STD. We have a wedding in Philadelphia in two weeks (we live in north Jersey) and we planned the weekend WELL in advance of getting the invitation. I feel like the people who can make it know and plan accordingly and those who can’t, can’t. I know there is a decline rate of 0-20% usually but much of that is already known unless you’re having a large wedding. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors