.5 carat small?

posted 5 months ago in Rings
Post # 16
118 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2020 - Breckenridge, CO

I have a half carat and I LOVE it! I don’t think it’s too small of a size at all. But it depends on what look you are going for and your personal taste. 

Post # 18
260 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

I do think .5 is a small size but some of my favorite rings I’ve seen are that size! Small doesn’t translate to bad. 

Post # 19
2879 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Definitely not small, but like PPs have said, it’s really dependent on preference, finger size etc. I think diamond shape and cut can affect how “big” it looks. Mine is a bit over 0.5 ct and I love it!

Post # 20
4 posts
Wannabee

As others have said, it really depends. On small hands, 0.5 carats will look bigger than you would expect. For many women, smaller diamonds can be more practical for everyday wear. Also, some simply prefer the look of dainty rings.

When I look at the rings posted on this site, I find that they are quite a bit larger than those I see women wearing in my area. Within my circle of friends and family, 0.5 carats is the norm. However, I know that in some areas people wear much larger stones. 

Post # 21
314 posts
Helper bee

I definitely think it’s on the small, dainty side. However, that doesn’t mean it can’t be pretty, as long as it sparkles well. The sparkle matters the most with any size IMO. 

Post # 22
2315 posts
Buzzing bee

I have a lovely .5 ct RHR.  It’s a .5 ct center stone with a beautiful flower halo.  

Post # 23
97 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: April 2018 - United Kingdom

IMG_2701

My 0.50 carat e-ring on my size 6 finger smile I love everything about it including the size!

Post # 25
160 posts
Blushing bee

helpme1122 :  I have a .5 carat solitaire. I wouldn’t say .5 carat is small but it’s not big either. So it depends what look you’re going for.

It’s not the sort of size that others look at and say “OMG!” it’s more of a size that gets the “it’s nice!” or “it’s so cute!” response from my experience. Hope I make sense!

Post # 26
220 posts
Helper bee

Definitely agree that you’ll never have people bulge their eyes out and be shocked at your ring when it’s .5 carat. It’s not going to look huge on anyone but I don’t think it looks small. My ring is a size 4 and I think it’s perfectly proportional. The biggest stone I would personally be comfortable with on my finger is 1 carat, but I chose the .5 because I’m not a big blingy jewelry person in general. I also didn’t like how larger stones ended up looking “fat” from the side. I know that might sound silly but I didn’t want a high set ring and the larger stones just looked very fat from the side unless they were set high. Anyway here’s my .5 on size 4. It’s a lab-grown diamond.

Post # 27
109 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2018

helpme1122 :  it would be small for me , it all depends on the person and how they feel about it. It is small to me for various reasons and it may be big to someone else for different reasons. if you are debating between round and oval , the oval will face up bigger and is larger than a round cut. 

Post # 28
640 posts
Busy bee

helpme1122 :  With that size finger I wouldn’t go larger than one carat for the center stone. If you’re at .5 because of budget reasons but would like something bigger have you considered options like moissanite or another gemstone? You could get a larger stone for a lower price but if your heart is set on a diamond I think a .5 would look beautiful!

Post # 29
302 posts
Helper bee

It’s all relative – finger size, personal preference, what you are used to seeing on others. In that sense, even though my finger is only size 4 I do consider .5 to be small. 1ct on me seems perfect! But that’s just my own preference. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors