(Closed) 5 days late, when to test?

posted 4 years ago in TTC
Post # 17
7268 posts
Busy Beekeeper

View original reply
secretlifeofbees :  As pp said, you can have multiple patches of fertile CM throughout a cycle, just as you can get a positive OPK and not actually ovulate. The only way to be sure you really ovulated is through temping. Sometimes you can randomly have a long, wonky cycle for no obvious reason, and that’s probably what’s happening to you. It’s not uncommon. If you had actually ovulated on May 6, you’d be 16dpo today. You’d be able to get a clear positive on a pregnancy test by now (the earliest most people can see a positive is around 8-9dpo, but by 16dpo it will be a blazing clear positive for 99.99999% of women). If your period doesn’t arrive tomorrow at the latest, it just means you ovulated later than you thought, because the longest you luteal phase (the part of your cycle after ovulation) can be is 16 or 17 days.  

ETA: I had pretty regular cycles, but would occasionally get a patch of fertile CM as much as 7 days before I actually ovulated, with the CM totally drying up a few days before I actually O’d (I was temping so I knew when i really ovulated). CM can give you a good clue about ovulation, but taken on its own, it’s not the be all end all that means you definitely ovulated at a certain time.

Post # 19
8674 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2016

View original reply
secretlifeofbees :  unfortunately PPs are right. 

Fwiw, me and quite a few of the users who chimed in (the ones I recognize I know for sure, and the rest maybe too!) Are very experienced with trying and being disappointed.  I do really feel for you: it’s so frustrating!

It took over a year before I got my sticky bfp and i had cycles all over the place.. some super on schedule, some where my cm and opks and temps were all all over the place.  It’s so frustrating.

If you can’t temp, having an opk to use as well as your cm will really increase the chances you guess your o date right.  I did that the cycles I didn’t temp.  None of the cycles I didn’t temp led to a bfp unfortunately, but based on when AF showed up those cycles I do think using cm + opk gave me a pretty good guess of when I ovulated and thus good timing.

Post # 20
7268 posts
Busy Beekeeper

well the good news is you aren’t out yet! Keep up the bd-ing until AF arrives or you get a bfp. Like Amanda says opks are really helpful too so you could add those to your arsenal since temping hasn’t been working for you. Fx bee…bfns are depressing but hopefully your bfp is just around the corner! 

Post # 22
5985 posts
Bee Keeper

I wouldn’t take this as a bad thing, you could have ovulated late meaning if you are pregnant you conceived later meaning that you wouldn’t get a positive test right away

The topic ‘5 days late, when to test?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors