(Closed) 5 hours of sleep?

posted 9 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
3363 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Not me!  Fiance does though…how?  I dunno!

Post # 4
908 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

No way, I LOVE sleep!!

Post # 5
113 posts
Blushing bee

i’m almost there… i go with 6 most days. i just got used to it i guess. don’t get me wrong, i love to sleep and sleep for hours when i can. but when i’m awake, i’m awake and can’t go back to sleep.

Post # 6
365 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I average about 6 hours and it’s because I’m usually talking to the Mr that is currently deployed and 8.5 hours ahead. 

Not the healthiest sleeping habits but the body does adjust. 

Post # 8
129 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010 - Stage 6 Steiner Studios

I don’t do it but I thnk some people do b/c they don’t have a choice. I hear 7-8 is optimal for adults. I think I average…7.5 luckily since I have a short commute!

Post # 9
2205 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I did for at least two years in college.  but then on Saturdays I would sleep 12 and about 8 over the summer so my body was able to handle it ok.

I would recommend it, nor would I do it for a long period of time!

I do know people though, that sleep 4-5 hours and are perfectly normal.  Usually they are night shitft workers that are able to get that little sleep (of my friends).  Not for me!

Post # 10
128 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I generally get between 5-8 hours of sleep. I work two jobs and the one on the weekend starts at 7am so I have to get up at 5:30am. It’s at a coffee house so it helps!

Post # 11
369 posts
Helper bee

I do on weekdays. Especially with college and other stuff to do. But then I do catch up my sleep on weekends and whenever I don’t have to wake up early, I get up after 11 a.m. It’s a nice life for younger people but my parents and others wouldn’t be able to handle it. I guess it’s ok for a twenty-something or younger.

Post # 12
113 posts
Blushing bee

@ladybuglove

yah, i function pretty well and get lots done actually. although, not so much when work is slow. but on a normal day, i do fine. i don’t drink coffee either, but do have a cup of tea or hot cocoa on chilly mornings… not to wake me up, but to warm me up! it helps to eat breakfast, and regular excercise. oh… and having a 21 month old running around helps me stay on my toes too. =D

Post # 13
453 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I do-just responded to this on another board. My twins were born almost 10 weeks premature-with lots of medical problems (including a heart monitor for my daughter with an alarm that would blare in the middle of the night if her breathing or heart rate dropped)-nursing and pumping before and after each nursing session (every 2-3 hours), and becoming a single parent of infants when they were 15 months old-combined with working full time & going to graduate school-I think I established poor sleep habits that I have never been able to correct even though my twins are now 5.

Ambien CR helps me fall asleep and keeps me asleep, regular Ambien will make me sleep. I have a hard time getting enough rest-despite doing what I’m supposed to-no naps, using bedroom only for sleep and sex, keeping the same schedule weekdays and weekends, etc. to no avail.

I am hoping with the arrival of married life, my sleep will improve, as I sleep much better with Fiance. (maybe something to do with plenty of good lovin’?!)

I should add that as a teacher, I am up at 5, work a full day with children with special needs (so I have a very active job), then ferry children about to soccer and gymnastics, church activities, what not-I should be exhausted by the time I get home!

Post # 14
512 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

No wonder Suze Orman always is so hyper – she must be overcaffinated in order to do a days worth on four hours – Im an eight hour girl and try my best to stick to it – however, my insomnia has come back in full swing as the wedding approaches – so I have been stuck with 5-7 hours nights alot lately – which I cant do much about b/c life must go one. Anyways, working out helps to exhausted my hyperness so allows me to get to bed at a decent time and wake up normal time to get my day started. I couldnt do that unless I had nap time in between which is a negative b/c I try to make the most of my days and throwing in workouts rather than naps in between work and school at night.

Not really helpful post from me – but thought I’d give my 2C 🙂

Post # 15
7082 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2009

Some people function at a “hypomanic” level.  It is a very functional state, bordering on the manic side or up phase of bipolar disorder.  These people seem to manage to keep it a sustainable state and do not cycle into the down side of bi-polar disorder.  If I remember correctly, Martha Stewart, Donald Trump and some other famous folks (I guess add Suze Orman to the list) exhibit this trait… (probably more of them than we realize).  If, however, one begins to have symptoms that negatively impact one’s functioning, the trait may be developing into something less functional.

I think it’s important to listen to your own body and to meet its needs.  You can’t really make yourself be hypomanic (although caffiene does help!) and many of us 8 hour sleepers become a mess when we try to do this.  Of course, people do go through phases where they need more or less sleep as part of their natural rhythms, as well.

The topic ‘5 hours of sleep?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors