(Closed) 5 Love Languages – What's yours?

posted 7 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 47
794 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2015 - Backyard Forest

View original reply
@MrsPanda99:  I think the whole idea behind his book is that often we feel ‘disappointed’ in relationships because we aren’t getting the love we speak in. 

So for instance, if somebody is in a relationship where they feel like their significant other never buys them gifts or gets the right present, or buys them flowers and little things – but he washes her car, and makes her dinner or folds her laundry. 

He is expressing love by acts of service, but she likes to receive love by gifts.

I think taking the quiz together is really eye opening, because we all have something we prefer. 

My SO prioritizes quality time – like you said, if you don’t like spending time together, why are you together? But since that’s his primary language, whenever he asks me to do something with him I know it’s really important to him and a way that he is expressing love (in the same way one person may buy flowers). 

I love words of affirmation – so I am always telling my SO I love him and mushy things.

So you can flip it, and I know that I can really excite my SO and express love by making special plans for quality time together, and he can really make me happy by expressing his love to me through words.

Post # 48
1530 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

View original reply
@MrsPanda99:  Most of them are common sense – but acts of service isnt.  My DH always wonders why I’m so happy when he changes my oil, makes progress on house projects, or when he does the dishes.  Its just another thing off his checklist to him, but it means the world to me.

Post # 49
181 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Mine is receiving gifts and FI’s is acts of service. Fiance and I took this quiz at the beginning of our relationship just out of curiosity.

Post # 50
9680 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

View original reply
@MrsBaldEagle:  I’ve always taken that as a given too. He hates laundry, so I do it. I hate picking up poop, so he does it. We do things to make each other’s lives easier.

Whatever works for people. It just was obvious for us as we were already doing it ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 51
9680 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

View original reply
@missamysmiles:  I fully admit that I didn’t read the book. Maybe that would make a difference. However, I took the test, thought it was stupid and obvious, and moved on. I am pretty in tune with my partner. I know what he appreciates, values, and wants. I do all of those things whenever I can and he is the same way.

But I’m sure I find value in things others found useless so to each their own.

Post # 52
2512 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I’m words. SO is acts of service. Both of us have physical touch as a close second. I read the book a couple of years ago. I think it’s excellent.

Post # 53
794 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2015 - Backyard Forest

View original reply
@MrsPanda99:  yah the book is written by a guy that has many failed marriages, and he just didn’t understand why they kept failing when they started out so good. 

My partner and I are really in tune with each other too, but I did appreciate the opportunity to discuss our priorities of how we like to give and receive love. 

Post # 54
9680 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

View original reply
@missamysmiles:  That’s great ๐Ÿ™‚ My partner and I found it very, “yeah, we already do that.” Maybe the book is worth a read as I am sure the quiz doesn’t capture it all.

Post # 55
1300 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Your Scores

• 11Words of Affirmation
  • 7Quality Time
  • 3Receiving Gifts
  • 5Acts of Service
  • 4Physical Touch

Post # 58
336 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

View original reply
@Hyperventilate:  +1,000,000 Like this question:

I would feel like giving my husband an award if he helped me around the house
I would feel loved if my husband’s gifts showed signs of thoughtfulness.

So either my husband is lazy or unthoughtful? He already does both of these things!

View original reply
@classical_wolf:  Mine is quality time. The last is acts of service, mostly because my husband is a neat freak, and cleans the house from top to bottom without me bothering him to help. If he didn’t already do these things, that would probably be close to the top.

Post # 59
9076 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

View original reply
@mgol25:  Yeah, I got that vibe too. The questions seemed to be skewed to put blame or fault on the partner. I know this is “intended” for people who have problems in their relationship, but I didn’t really feel like any of these questions were helpful in finding out my “love language” (which I feel is a bunch of bullock to begin with.)

But, I guess to each their own. I just hope nobody puts too much stock into this.

Post # 61
10355 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I like the idea of this, but the way the quiz is worded is really misleading. They clearly didn’t ask someone who is an expert in polling/wording to help them devise this, because the interpretations they give are completely misleading depending on the motivation behind the answer the person taking the quiz gives.

The topic ‘5 Love Languages – What's yours?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors