(Closed) 5 mg of folic acid?

posted 6 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
1477 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Sometimes doctors recommend very high doses. I have epilepsy and my neurologist has me taking extra folic acid due to my medications. From what I understand, it’s one of those things where you can’t have too much of, but you can of too little of it. 5mg is a common dose though. Don’t worry!

Post # 4
2192 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

That’s how much I take!

Post # 5
1621 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Folic acid is water soluble so it doesn’t accumulate in the body.  1mg is the standard dose for pre-conceptinon/pregnancy.  5mg is the dose recommended for those at “increased” risk for neural tube defects (or generally poorer nutrtion): family history of neural tube defects, teenagers, women over 40, bmi over 30, and as a PP said those on anti-seizure meds….those are the situations I remember but there may be more.

Ask you doctor to clarify why they think you need 5mg vs. 1mg.  5mg isn’t “wrong” but for most people it’s also unnecessary.

Post # 7
3314 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Actually FOLATE (from nature) is water soluable and won’t accumulate in your body.  There is such a thing as too much FOLIC ACID (man-made synthetic) and it can lead to cancer – especially if you have unknown about MTHFR mutations which hamper the body’s ability to breakdown folic acid.  I have several friends that ended up with precancerous cells from being on high doses of folic acid.  

Post # 8
7770 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

I thought you were not supposed to have over 1000 mcg a day from SYNTHETIC folic acid.  So- it is okay if it is from a natural source. 

Also, from what I have researched 1000 is not the standard, 400 is the standard, I take 600, and 800 is okay, but again, not over 1000 synthetic.

Similar to vitamin A, – beta carotene is fine to have a lot of, but not synthetic (vitamin A palmitate).

The topic ‘5 mg of folic acid?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors