(Closed) 5 minute ceremony, is it rude for guests to stand?

posted 5 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 2
7892 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

If the ceremony is that short, I think it’s ok to have the guests stand during that time. I’d still have a few seats available for people who need it though. 

Post # 3
7786 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I believe it is considerate to provide seating no matter the length of the ceremony. Your guests will typically arrive earlier and spend some time waiting for the ceremony to begin–so even if you are only present for a five minute ceremony your guests may be standing for 15-20 minutes. The benches sound like a great solution.

Post # 5
613 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

I think it would be nice to your guests to provide seating don’t forget that they will be there early and after so will be there a lot longer than the actual ceremony and if had tI walk that far in heels I would want to be able to sit at the ceremony 

Post # 6
9399 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2016

I stood at a wedding recently–it was fine.  Only problem was that it was pouring all day so, even though the area was tented, we were all sinking into the ground with our pointy high heels.  

What they did was they had enough seats for about 2-3 dozen people (they had maybe 70 people total)… we were all good people and let older guests and very young guests sit.

Post # 8
11512 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

I am of the opinion that you should not make your guests stand. Although you may think that your ceremony is going to last five minutes, your guests will be standing much longer. There are people who will arrive early, and then there is the walk from wherever they park to where the ceremony site is. There will be standing as they wait for the ceremony to begin, and more standing after the ceremony, along with a walk to the reception area, where they likely will stand as they wait for a beverage and hors d’ouevres. Plus, many women likely will be wearing heels. Also, some people may be struggling with health issues of which you are not aware. I would rent the chairs — if possible, from a company that also will set them up and take them down for you so that you won’t need to worry about who will be handling this on you wedding day.

Post # 9
1309 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

The problem is, people get there early. Also people like to sit if they aren’t directly participating. Please get chairs. 

Post # 10
1303 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: Hawksnest Cove Beach St John USVI

We had an 8 minute ceremony on the beach and it was standing. everyone say before the ceremony and walked down together and we had no issues. Because of the small group the rental company wanted over 30 dollars a chair for set up fees!  My grandparents heard that and said it was crazy and if they could stand everyone could. 

Post # 13
484 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

View original reply
snpmarin:  I’ve stood at ceremonies, and plan to have people stand for my 20 minute ceremony (the horror!). Provide seats for people who are actually unable to stand, but assume that otherwise people will be able to tell that it’s a laidback wedding. I wouldn’t necessarily have it as an option in the RSVP card, but just include a little note “The ceremony will be a short paved walk from the park; please plan your attire accordingly.”

Post # 14
7892 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

View original reply
snpmarin:  It would be awkward to be asked about sitting v standing on an RSVP. What if everyone says sit?

How is the chair pricing? Is there a lower price for a certain number of seats? If there’s no cost advantage to a particular number, I’d go for having a row or two of seating, or ~10 seats, considering that you don’t have anyone specifically that you know will need a seat. 

Post # 15
903 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I don’t think 5 minutes will kill anyone. I walk around the grocery store and then stand in line for 5 minutes… 

The topic ‘5 minute ceremony, is it rude for guests to stand?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors