(Closed) 5 months for a Wedding Dress!? CRAP!!!!

posted 10 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
55 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

I feel your pain- I was engaged on Christmas and am planning a 7/12 wedding. I’ve heard it can anywhere from 5-9 months to get the dress to come in and have alterations done.

Often though you can pay a fee to have it expedated, but i’m sure that is $$$.

I’m going dress shopping this weekend myself for the first time, and am worried I’ll run into the same problem!

Post # 4
48 posts
Newbee

Yeah… that’s what the dress shops told me too.  I ordered mine on line on January 9th and got an e-mail with a delivery date of mid to late June.  🙁  My wedding is July 26th. 

I guess it’s normal?  I just keep hoping somehow it’ll be sent earlier…. I just can’t wait to have it in my hands!  🙂

Post # 5
19 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2008

Sadly, I think this is totally normal. I ordered my dress in early July and it won’t be in for a few more weeks! And then my wedding is at the end of April and they don’t want to start alterations until March. Makes me nervous, but I’m telling myself they have years of experience…

Post # 6
90 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2008

I was told by several salons this past summer that if your dress is manufactured in China- which many are- you will end up waiting for your dress even longer if it is ordered in the winter.  The reason being China virtually shuts down everything during the month leading to the Chinese New Year (early February this year) and the dresses are postponed longer than if you ordered during the summer…   I ordered my dress the first week of September and it is not scheduled to be in until the beginning of February.

Post # 7
2292 posts
Buzzing bee

Not sure what kind of dress you are looking at.  It seems as if dresses with lots of beading, embroidery and such can take a very long time.  I am looking at less adorned options – just fabulous fabric – and have been seeing 10 to 12 weeks normally.  One salon told me it was an extra $50 to expedite that by 2 weeks; $100 by 4 weeks (not too unreasonable).  Of course I am also looking mostly at Bridesmaid or Best Man rather than bridal gowns, as I don’t want white and only a few bridal gowns come in champagne or silver or pale pink, while a lot of Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses come in a selection of those colors.  A lot of Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses also come in white, so maybe that would also be an option.  Some of them are sufficiently ball-gown or evening-gown-like that there is very little difference from the simpler styles of bridal gowns.

Post # 8
9 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: February 2008

Just FYI, I avoided this whole hassle by buying my dress off the rack at a bridal gown outlet in the SoMa district in San Francisco and then taking it straight to a tailor to be altered. It gave me a TON more control over timeline.

Post # 9
638 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2007

I ordered my dress around Dec 28th (06) for an April 28th wedding.  I paid around $70 bucks to expedite it.  Not too bad.  (Casablanca was the designer)

It might cost a little more – but you’ll be able to get your dress!  No worries 🙂  I’d make sure to keep looking so you can order it in the next two/three weeks though!  You might not even need to expedite it – I probably would have been ok – but didn’t want to take chances – and wanted to make sure I got it early so I could take bridal portraits.

Also there’s a chance you could buy a sample and have it altered to fit you!

Post # 10
10 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: February 2008

I was engaged a year before the wedding date, but I procrastinated searching for a dress and found myself in the same situation as you 4.5 months before the wedding.  Luckily the dress I liked was available in 3 months (just came in!) and the alterations should be done in 3-4 weeks, which gives me a finished dress 1-2 weeks before the wedding.  I didn’t have to pay a rush fee for the dress or alterations.<span style=”font-size: 12pt; font-family: ‘Times New Roman'”>

I explained my situation to all of the stores I went to and found them to be very honest and helpful.  Also, a lot of places told me that they would prefer to wait to do alterations until a month before the wedding as the brides’ size can change.

Post # 11
111 posts
Blushing bee

uh – i was told 5 months also, but i ordered my henry roth dress in june and got it mid-august…

it’s been hangin in my closet since…

Post # 12
192 posts
Blushing bee

I found my Mori Lee dress and ordered it from our bridal shop and they ordered it in the UK (I live in Colorado) and was able to get the dress in 3 weeks. I didn’t pay anything extra. I was originally told 6-7 months and was shocked when it came in that fast. I was told depending on the volume of business a store does with a certain company, their orders get pushed through faster.

Have you thought about maybe ordering from a different store? 

Post # 13
236 posts
Helper bee

It depends on where you go.  David’s Bridal is much faster for some dresses.  Also, why not check out some sample sales.  You take it home that day!

Post # 15
89 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2008

I ordered my dress mid Nov and I just received the call that my dress is HERE!!!

Post # 16
139 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2008

I hate pressure… when I was looking for a dress in October/November for my June wedding, it felt like every store I went into told me that I had to order it right away otherwise it wouldn’t come in time. I found one dress that I loved in October and they said that I would have to pay $200 "express" charge to get in time for June… I thought that was a little riddiculous.  I didn’t buy from that stores I ended up going to a small bridal shop and bought my dress in November and they said it should be in at the end of February/beginning of March some time.  

The topic ‘5 months for a Wedding Dress!? CRAP!!!!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors